Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of getting a emperor filter, ive heard there good? anyone have one? is there much difference between a emperor and a penguin filter? i think the same company makes them both, i have a 125gallon tank, what size would i need? i already have a fluval 404, i have a snakehead and a wolf fish in the tank, there messy eaters and want more filtation, any suggestions?

·
Registered
256 Posts
a wolf fish?!?
i heard those things are crazy. my friend just got one and hopefully i will get to see it eat soon.
Personally i would go with the penguin, it is so much more cheaper, it is a great filter and only a little less powerfull than the emperor... but is that little extra power worth 30$ more??
its up to you

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
What exactly makes an Emperor filter so much better than an equivalent gph Penguin filter tho? I've heard the Emperor has electrically driven bio-wheels, but other than that, what else?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I used 2 emps on my 125g. The penguin is only 330gph, the emp is 400 gph. The emp is quite larger than the 330 in most aspects. Also the bio wheel is not electrical.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just bought an emperor 400, i like it already, it flows like crazy, it circluates the water in my tank really well

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
CoolD said:
a wolf fish?!?
i heard those things are crazy. my friend just got one and hopefully i will get to see it eat soon.
Personally i would go with the penguin, it is so much more cheaper, it is a great filter and only a little less powerfull than the emperor... but is that little extra power worth 30$ more??
its up to you
At Big Als, Emp400's are like $40.00-$50.00. Not that much for a quality filter.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Emp's are better than penguins cause they have the spray bar to help the bio wheel spin. The penguin is also one of the loudest damn filters I have heard. I know it's too late since you already bought it, but I would have gotten a ac500 since your fluval would be giving you the chem and bio filtration you need. And for some reason I have turned to an ac lover. Less moving parts less chance of messing up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
ac500 sux, as far as i see it, they do absolutley nothing, i own one and it only looks kool when my water level is really high or really low, other than that there is no bio filtration and mech filtaration is min. Its a freakin sponge for gods sake, stick with emp 400 ALL THE WAY BABY

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I just bought a emp 400 and and emp 280? from petsolutions.com. $75 for both including shipping. They seem to have some serious power. Compared to my penguin.

·
Registered
211 Posts
when i first got my emp400 it was great. now (3 months later) its acting weird. i have a thread on it, if anyone has input. but yes, when working right they are great. as far as media, a box of 4 costs $15 at petsmart. i dont know what the long term maintence costs are for other brands.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Emp uses a spray bar to turn the wheel. I have the emp 400 and the only thing I don't like about it is the bio wheel slows down if you don't clean it. Mine actually stop turning once because it was heavy due to "bac." on the bio wheels.

Also, I believe its media well is bigger.

·
Registered
46 Posts
IMO i think all HOB powerfilters suck ass, i regeret ever putting the money into them, When i get the cash im going to replace them all with some nice cannaster filters.

·
Registered
256 Posts
GARGOYLE said:
Emp's are better than penguins cause they have the spray bar to help the bio wheel spin. The penguin is also one of the loudest damn filters I have heard. I know it's too late since you already bought it, but I would have gotten a ac500 since your fluval would be giving you the chem and bio filtration you need. And for some reason I have turned to an ac lover. Less moving parts less chance of messing up.
Penguins are not loud at all!
Well the 330 isnt ....
It may not be as powerful as emp but i still recommend it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts