Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Rodgers' Aquatics
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Erytrhinus Sp. From SharkAquarium.com. He was doing fine and now he's got like fog covering his left eye and the tip of his upper lip is ripped up like he either got a chunk taken outta him by my hoplias or he's been slamming head first into the rocks in my tank. I watched him for a bit do figure 8's in my tank really really fast hitting the bottom like scratching...I don't see any white dots to indicate ick but there is a faded striped line of like missing skin going across his head and his eye is glazed over...any ideas? Also, The Nitrite Level In That Tank Was 5.0 PPM Would That Have Something To Do With It?

Sorry To Post This Here But I Didn't Get any responses in the "Disease etc.." Forum Please Excuse this one time so that i can save my fish!

· joey'd is da man
11,920 Posts
not sure what the trouble is, whats the water like and what are the tankmates?

I would seperate it, ensure the water is good, add some aquarium salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) and hope for the best.

oh and get the water tested!!!

· Rodgers' Aquatics
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added a tablespoon of salt yesterday and today i added nitri-zorb to bring it down, i moved the ery. from that tank and put his in a 200 gal with my 12 rbp's oh well...but my hoplias is still in that tank and he seems to be fine...i have no idea what's going on?

G

·
Sorry to hear about your wolf fish. That's a damn shame.

I would guess from the injuries to his face that he got into it with the other wolf fish.

How long was he in the tank for?

· joey'd is da man
11,920 Posts
Faded said:
I added a tablespoon of salt yesterday and today i added nitri-zorb to bring it down, i moved the ery. from that tank and put his in a 200 gal with my 12 rbp's oh well...but my hoplias is still in that tank and he seems to be fine...i have no idea what's going on?
[snapback]872551[/snapback]​
dont put anything with your piranhas unless you want to have more problems, I think you have a prime example of putting the wrong fish together - learn from that

· joey'd is da man
11,920 Posts
Faded said:
So do we think that he just got beat up by my hoplias or is he going blind? ir is it some form of leprisy? or any other disease?
[snapback]872561[/snapback]​
lol check the water!!!!

we dont know what happened, we were not there, and have limited info on it.

· joey'd is da man
11,920 Posts
Faded said:
you can't tell from the pics?
[snapback]872571[/snapback]​
no, from the pics we can see that you have a fish with an injured nose, what caused this is not showing in the pics.... can you tell from the pics?

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Seems like he's in shock. When you first drop him in the tank, did you acclimate it or did you just dropped it instantly? My reasons for this is that the water he was delivered in isn't in the same levels of the water in your home aquarium. Bad reactions and shock can do this to fish, which he (as you have stated) start swimming irratically.
I added a tablespoon of salt yesterday and today i added nitri-zorb to bring it down
If possible i would do a 25% water change ASAP. Adding salt to the tank, then adding chemicals can cancel out the purpose of the treatment and also may add even more harmfull effects. Stay with salt, for salt willhelp heal and bring nitrites lower.

Good Luck..

· Rodgers' Aquatics
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i did acclimate, but today he's just really wierd, he'll sqim and then pass out in a plant or something then when i think he's dead he'll sqim some more. His left eye is completely glazed over now , and his right eye is starting to What causes flesh to fall of and eyes to glaze over?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.