Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sup folks,

Here's the deal. I have FOUR healthy 5-6" RBPs. All have been together since near birth.

Now here's the emergency/mystery part, one of the four is VERY slightly more dominant than the other three, and that one dominant RBP is somehow badly wounded. I don't know what the heck happened, simply came home and found it struggling and being picked on by the other three.

Has anyone had or heard of this type of situation?

What should I do? (I think they'll eventually kill it)

Attached are pics of the injured fish with damage near its top, back end.

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts
what sized tank are they in?

probably just some red on red crime :laugh:

that fish will be healthy no time wiht some salt.

So wha should you do? When its healed do a water change on te main tank and add the p in. See how it goes. If it goes well leave him, minor fin nips are normal but if you feel its bad then i guess he could go in a solo tank or you could sell him.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
the damage does not look to bad
he does need his own tank though because they will team up and kill him
and i would put some salt in just to help

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Sometimes piranhas do that for unknown reasons. They are excellent at seeking out the weak, so perhaps that thought that this fish was a weak link in the shoal.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Disease, Parasite, and Injury Forum*

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
higher the temp, and salt or melefex....he would be good in no time :nod:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes piranhas do that for unknown reasons. They are excellent at seeking out the weak, so perhaps that thought that this fish was a weak link in the shoal.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Disease, Parasite, and Injury Forum*
He wasn't the weakest for sure. He was the most dominant one, this is what baffles me.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I've caught a lot of flack on here for my tendency to overstock.
I like to put as many pygos as possible into a tank, and make it work by also "Overfiltering and "Overwaterchanging" (As if there is such a thing...)

But I must say that even to me, four 5"-6" reds in a 40gallon tank is too much.

Also, he looks a bit skinny in that pic...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I like to put as many pygos as possible into a tank, and make it work by also "Overfiltering and "Overwaterchanging" (As if there is such a thing...)

It does look weak and skinny, they tend to attack the......

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It does look weak and skinny, they tend to attack the......
[/quote]

Believe me when I say this, the fish is the largest and most aggressive/dominant of the four.

I should also mention I fed them a good amount of shrimp about 12 hours before the incident.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would feed them alittle more often IMO, Ive had bad experiences when feeding every 3-5days. At 5-6 Inches they are still young

sorry about the feeding schedule question that got repeated, my computer froze and I must of hit the button 3 times after it froze

maybe feed alittle less and more often, Also what are your Parameters. and I would upgrade to like a 75-120 gallon to grow them out and give them room to set up territories

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It dosent look like it to me, but it may be to the P's and it may depend on just them. The setup to me actully looks tight. i dont know man , that was just my thought that last thread.

Is that a caribe on the far left or is that just a humeral black shawdow because i think you said you have reds. The fish look nice. I would just update now to see if the problem gets solved and it will help in the long run when You have to upgrade, get ahead in the game....good luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It dosent look like it to me, but it may be to the P's and it may depend on just them. The setup to me actully looks tight. i dont know man , that was just my thought that last thread.

Is that a caribe on the far left or is that just a humeral black shawdow because i think you said you have reds. The fish look nice. I would just update now to see if the problem gets solved and it will help in the long run when You have to upgrade, get ahead in the game....good luck
All Reds, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This whole thread seems odd. The Hulk Hogan of the tank ends up beaten and battered? I had 10 piranha in my tank about 2 weeks ago. One of my piranha had an overdialated eye and a bite in his back and whammo, one day, even though they were fed every day, he was dead, nothing but skull at the bottom. I'm not going to doubt that he was the most dominate one, why would you lie, but it does seem odd.

He must have just gotten teamed up on. Nurse him back to health as you are, feed the others, and add him back. If he truely is the most dominate one he should do alright, then again thats what makes this whole thread odd.

Kyle

1 - 20 of 33 Posts