Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
pretty big diffrences hahaha

both are cool, irritans are not seen that often in the hobby tho.

Irritans i believe grow to 5-6" max? while elongs get a bit larger than that

Price wise ur gonna be in the same ball park.

ID go with Irritans tho, look much nicer and are mean as hell...elongs are mean too tho

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
not like im biased or anything
, but id go with irritans (hands down) over an elong.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Irritans are badass. One they are rare, two they don't need a huge tank like elongs do. Three I had one and it was a finger chaser and definately had a sweet yellow coloring on its anal fin.

Elongs on the other hand are fast torpedo like fish which can be cool, only problem is they need a big tank to swim.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
yea...there different species but both are in the serraselmus genus...As trigga stated the are more rare then the elongatus and are rarely found in the fish hobby.....

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
An Irritan is a very nice score if you can find one I would get it. Elongs are alot easier to find and are very aggressive do a search in the picture and video section on irritans and elongs and look at the differance between the two and see which one you want to get. they are both going to be sweet P's.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
k but whats the smallest size tank i could get away with with the irritan... if i can find one that is

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
depends what size u get him at and if u wanna get a tank rite now that u want to keep him in for life..

Id say u'd be fine with a 30-50 gallon, the fish only gets to 5-6" max

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
depends what size u get him at and if u wanna get a tank rite now that u want to keep him in for life..

pretty sure a 35 would do you well, put like an ac 200, some nice deco and your set

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts

pretty sure a 35 would do you well, put like an ac 200, some nice deco and your set
[/quote]

MAYBE a 50g breeder (48x18). I wouldnt recommend ANY piranha be kept in any smaller tank for life.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
k cool thanks guys .... i am getting one in a month or so :nod: ... i am picking up 2 75 gallon (48x18x20) next week

i think i am gonna put a s. manueli in the other

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah I would get an irritan as well, you just dont see them very often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts