Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how big does an elong get? i have heard some are very aggressive, more so than a rhom,

how long does it take an elong to "come out of the shell" vs the rhom? also what are the differences in growth rate, and how active is an elong compared to a rhom?

im thinking im going to be buying one of these to try em out, and i want to make the right choice, if i really like one of them, he will be moving into my 150 gallon tank and be spoiled.

both of the ones im looking at are 4" right now, one is at a petland, everytime i go its sitting in the corner, and does NOT move at all. for like 2 months, but i mean a pet store is a high stress environment.

would this change a bit if he was more comfortable?

the rhom is in a smaller more piranha based store, he is in a tank way to small for him, is about 4" as well, and again, sits int he corner and doenst move. same questions about this guy.

let me know what you guys think i should do? or just stay away from serra's completely?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
ID say elong hands down i own one by far my most active and agressive serra can get up to 12 inchs, but usually dont get much larger then 8 in a homee tank

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well i've owned an elong for about five weeks now and since the moment he's been in the tank hes been aggressive i've gone through about thirty dither tetras and he tears up smelt as soon as he sees it. I am very pleased with the elong i have. I'm getting a rhom next week so I can't really say to much about them i have small sanchezi which i bought as a rhom and he's kinda cool loves roseys doesn't care much for dead fish. Also the elong moves around a lot which i was delightfully surprised to see he's the sh*t.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
okay, so elong seems to be getting the vote. i thought they got big like rhoms though, one thing i really like about the rhom is the look of them, they look so badass. but if an elong is that much cooler ill probabaly get him,

okay how about this then, an elong, or 3 caribe? in a 70 gallon?

also, does the elong just barely move cuz he's in the pet store? like he would open up if i brought him home? how fast does the elong grow vs the rhom?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Elongs look really bad ass when they get bigger you can see there teeth. They grown above there lips. In a tank that size i think you will get great growth out of your elong

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
the 70g would be great for a elong!
with a big pwoerhead
id just get a rena xp4, use the jet nozzle. then i got killer filtration and a nice current.

i hope this elong from the pet store will be more active once he gets home. he does not move at all there.
[/quote]
it most likely will take some time though
my rhom took a good 6months, but now he is a killer!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
alright, and still no one has really answered, does an elong grow faster than a rhom? is it still only like 1" a year type thing? or is it better, he is about 4" right now.
never had an elong.....but my rhom has grown from 2in to 8.5in in less than two years....about 1.7 years

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
alright, and still no one has really answered, does an elong grow faster than a rhom? is it still only like 1" a year type thing? or is it better, he is about 4" right now.
im pretty sure they grow an inch every few months...maybe an inch every 2-3 months depending on the food intake, water quality etc...aswell im pretty sure elong's only hit like 8-10 inches or something, compared to where a rhom can hit 18+...so its all on you man....votes go towards an elong, id love an elong....keep us posted with your future results

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.