Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying a very large tank(400 gal) and putting an electric eel in it
but i dont know a lot about them. Has anyone ever had one or have one now? If so how would you do something in the tank or clean the water without being shocked? also, what should they be fed? thanks for the help

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I think RosecityRhom or P13 has an electric catfish...

Im still waiting to see a vid of it on how it eats or catches its prey.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Electric eels are extremely messy, require a big tank, and are not all that active. There are so many better things you could do with a tank of that size, like a shoal of gold spilos. Electric Cats would also be a better choice because you could probably keep more then one in the tank. Plus they are are not as lethal as E-EELS

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
BDKing57 said:
There are so many better things you could do with a tank of that size, like a shoal of gold spilos
there are better things, but I wouldn't reccomend a shoal of spilos

that is just asking for trouble.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Kevin "rosecityrhom" has no eel

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an electric eel as a pet: a big one can easily harm or even kill a man, if he fully discharges. And those things can grow over 2 meters in length...
They are nice fish, but imo absolutely unsuitable for a home aquarium!

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
BDKing57 said:
Electric eels are extremely messy, require a big tank, and are not all that active. There are so many better things you could do with a tank of that size, like a shoal of gold spilos. Electric Cats would also be a better choice because you could probably keep more then one in the tank. Plus they are are not as lethal as E-EELS
just curious how in the hell do u claena the tank let alone move it to another tank without it shocking the sh*t outta u ? rubber gloves just asking im more scared of that than my p's that cant feel good(electric shock)

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
thoroughbred said:
BDKing57 said:
just curious how in the hell do u claena the tank let alone move it to another tank without it shocking the sh*t outta u ? rubber gloves just asking im more scared of that than my p's that cant feel good(electric shock)
To be honest I duobt that any of the PFury members have experience of these fish, and I wouldn't reccomend keeping one, but a syphon tube might help

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Hey BDK.. Have you ever got shocked or felt the effects from this cat?? Also, is there any differrence when he eats his food? (electicuition, shock, or just *GULP*)

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
RhomZilla Posted on Apr 19 2003, 09:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey BDK.. Have you ever got shocked or felt the effects from this cat?? Also, is there any differrence when he eats his food? (electicuition, shock, or just *GULP*)
, It is a mild jolt, equivilent to probably a car battery shock. In large adults they can kill a small child and that is indeed documented.

I have one or two here in formalin. Prone to over eat and die.

·
4,277 Posts
hastatus said:
RhomZilla Posted on Apr 19 2003, 09:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
, It is a mild jolt, equivilent to probably a car battery shock. In large adults they can kill a small child and that is indeed documented.

I have one or two here in formalin. Prone to over eat and die.
can kill a small child frank? whoa! but how do u habdle the damn things a car battery shock is still painful

·
4,277 Posts
hastatus said:
Like you would any other fish, with a net. Just don't directly touch the fish, especially in water.
ok i get u nets are rubber so ur ok but moving stuff around the tank cleaning basically ur not EVER goin to oput ur hands in there just instruments like syphon etc thx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.