Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in at the store I used to work at and they had a baby electric blue jack dempsey in. WHAT A GORGEOUS LITTLE FISH. His colours were just stunning and I was extremely impressed by him. He looked fantastic. So much so that I'm thinking about buying him.

I had a few questions for those that know about these fish, though.

Do their colours fade/change with age? Right now he's stunning. But I've seen larger specimens that look like crap. Simply bad genetics I guess, since these are all inbred mutants anyway... Right now the one I want looks perfect.

And how much would you pay for one of these? Rare fish have always been incredibly pricey in my city and this guy is no exception. Keeping in mind that this looks like a quality specimen, and not some junk that should've been culled.

Cheers.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
The only ones I've seen here in Milaukee were the ones that I sold to the shops. And they stuck a hefty $40 price tag on them at only 3 inches! The big ones I've seen in photos still looked nice.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
They can be beautiful fish, no doubt, and I'm sure if one looks as good as you say it does at that size it will get nothing but better.

While they are a Jack Dempsey, they are, I believe, more of a subspecies, rather than a colour strain. They get about 6", very slow growing, and quite peaceful. Do not keep them with anything that you would keep with a regular Dempsey, Blues do best with fish like angels and other nonboisterous fishes. Another precaution you will have to take is make sure you water quality is up to par, as they can be quite touchy at times also.

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
Tibs, I agree with almost everything you said except for elevating them to subspecific status. They are an artificially-selected strain of the regular Dempsey.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Tibs, I agree with almost everything you said except for elevating them to subspecific status. They are an artificially-selected strain of the regular Dempsey.
Yes, maybe subspecies was too strong of a word, they are as you said a strain of Dempsey's.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even though it's been two weeks since I saw the e.b. dempsey I'm going to call and check tomorrow if they still have him. If so I'm going to go in and buy him, I think. Otherwise - too bad for me.

I like pretty fish, haha.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Does anyone have a rough idea of how fast these grow?

My LFS have a fantastically bright blue baby dempsey for £40, he's about 1" and is a possible candidate for my new set up if they still have him by the time my sand comes in and the tank is mature enough.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
I was in at the store I used to work at and they had a baby electric blue jack dempsey in. WHAT A GORGEOUS LITTLE FISH. His colours were just stunning and I was extremely impressed by him. He looked fantastic. So much so that I'm thinking about buying him.

I had a few questions for those that know about these fish, though.

Do their colours fade/change with age? Right now he's stunning. But I've seen larger specimens that look like crap. Simply bad genetics I guess, since these are all inbred mutants anyway... Right now the one I want looks perfect.

And how much would you pay for one of these? Rare fish have always been incredibly pricey in my city and this guy is no exception. Keeping in mind that this looks like a quality specimen, and not some junk that should've been culled.

Cheers.
the jack dempsey is a great fish for those with patience and appreciation. they grow slower which can leave some cichlid owners wondering why their jack is so puney for so long, they tend to be solitary and boring and overly aggresive at the same time which can cause stress in multi-fish tanks, but overall they are a wonderful fish on their own and the electric blue strain while not natural is still a true jack dempsey in behavior and traits. they will grow to 7-8 inches in their lifetime and take several years to get that size. price wise a jack should be VERY cheap in most cities, the electric blue version is more pricey since its more rare but look at price like i do. if you love the fish and it will be with you for years to come, who cares about price anyways? so long as you dont break your bank i would drop a little more for a fish you know you want.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The one I saw is still there at the store. I'll likely pick him up this week once I get a tank set up and going for him. I'm pretty keen on him... I'll be paying $40 CDN for it. (It's marked at $75 in the store though, so I guess it's a bit of a deal.) If I want more I can order more. But I doubt I'll be grabbing any.

He's in an odd tank right now with a single male German ram, golden bushynose plecos and striped raphael catfish. Everything is just a baby in the tank save for the ram. It's a funny set-up.

The dempsey I've been looking at is super interactive and not all that shy. I'm impressed to be honest.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Make sure to supply us with plenty of fine pictures from your camera if you get him.

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
i dont mind the slow growing part but i hear they are sensitive and die easy, its not that i dont trust my fish keeping abilities but with the kind of price tag they fetch i cant afford to take risks on such weary fish

1 - 17 of 17 Posts