Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ph is steady at 7.8 i guess its good that its steady but its pissing me off. I cant drop it bellow that no matter what i do. Ive done water changes ive changed there diet, ive added drift wood ive added ph down nothign will drop it to where i want it. My amonnia is at zero and my nitrates and nitrites are both very good dont want to list the numbers in case i get them backwards. I have a 60g tank what can i do to drop it or will this ph be fine for my red bellies. There are 3 in there and my ph has been like this for about 5 months now so they seem to be doing fine it just worries me. What can i do to drop it tho.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Why fix it when it ain't broken?
A pH of 7.8 is fine (although it's indeed higher than the ideal value). You said your fish are doing fine (illustrating that piranha's are very adaptable fish), so there's no need to worry at all.

In fact, if want want to keep it artificially low, you'll constantly have to monitor the water, make alterations etc. This will result in a pH that is not as stable as it is now - a pH that is not stable is much more harmful to piranha's that one that is a bit higher or lower than ideal.
So I'd keep it the way it is

*Moved to Water Chemistry*

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Judazzz said:
Why fix it when it ain't broken?
A pH of 7.8 is fine (although it's indeed higher than the ideal value). You said your fish are doing fine (illustrating that piranha's are very adaptable fish), so there's no need to worry at all.

In fact, if want want to keep it artificially low, you'll constantly have to monitor the water, make alterations etc. This will result in a pH that is not as stable as it is now - a pH that is not stable is much more harmful to piranha's that one that is a bit higher or lower than ideal.
So I'd keep it the way it is

*Moved to Water Chemistry*
[snapback]853943[/snapback]​
exactly correct. I have a steady pH of 7.8 in my tank, and I have never had any problems. Keeping it steady is more ideal than keeping it at the ideal pH only sometimes.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
The_Spoot said:
I never knew that I bet it saves a ton of money to.
[snapback]853961[/snapback]​
I think so - I've never ever attempted to alter my tank water's pH though, so I have no idea how much it would save...

Many people have the tendency to turn their tanks into chemical cocktails way too quickly - often, it only makes matters worse (especially if no action was needed in the first place).

·
Serras n Snakes
3,571 Posts
Judazzz said:
I think so - I've never ever attempted to alter my tank water's pH though, so I have no idea how much it would save...

Many people have the tendency to turn their tanks into chemical cocktails way too quickly - often, it only makes matters worse (especially if no action was needed in the first place).
[snapback]853978[/snapback]​
Well said Jonas
(I have never tried to change my tanks ph either)

·
Registered
98 Posts
The pH of 7.8 is just right for most fish, so dont borther to change it. The water might be too hard thats why its hard to drop the pH.

G

·
You probably have an extremely high KH as well as PH, stopping you from adjusting the PH.

Like said above though, its cool not worth messing with.

I lowered mine from 7 to between 6.6 and 6.8, because of my love of plenty of driftwood. Its something that has to be monitored often and kept like that. More hassle than its worth. You are only just out of the prefered PH range of nats anyway. And its certainly not extreme and will be perfectly fine for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts