Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going to set up a gravity drip system for my 55.
And I was thinking of using R/O out my tap.
Tap is well water with softener and filtration.
I have been thinking flow rate should be about 3 to 5 gal a day.
The tank is heavily filtered and is being set up for a Rhom.
Any info or opinions are welcome!

Greg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I am going to set up a gravity drip system for my 55.
And I was thinking of using R/O out my tap.
Tap is well water with softener and filtration.
I have been thinking flow rate should be about 3 to 5 gal a day.
The tank is heavily filtered and is being set up for a Rhom.
Any info or opinions are welcome!

Greg
Ok maybe it is the lack of info?

The 55 has been set up for a rhom I posted here!
55 gal Rhom set up

I am getting a rhom 1st because I would like to keep one and second because I am going to
document growth rate, my water quality ect ....

The drip system will and either 3 to 5 gallons a day of my tap water or R/O water.

<<ph 6.8, gh 1 to 2 pending last house filtration cycle.>>

Please if you have any opinions on gallons a day being dripped in and what ever post them here or PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I had a 180 set up with a BUNCH of convicts, gravel, heater, and no filter whatsoever. I ran a continous drip on it of about 12 gallons a day. It ran fine for several months, then I put a lima shovelnose in the tank, he ate all the cons, I sold him, and took the tank down. Do you want the water to be very soft like out of the RO?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a 180 set up with a BUNCH of convicts, gravel, heater, and no filter whatsoever. I ran a continous drip on it of about 12 gallons a day. It ran fine for several months, then I put a lima shovelnose in the tank, he ate all the cons, I sold him, and took the tank down. Do you want the water to be very soft like out of the RO?
Yup you got it I am looking to maintain near perfect params and document growth rate.
I am thinking 5 gal a day/24hrs, this would equal 35 gal per week which is about a 65% water change over the course of the week.
Now if this was done in one day I think it would create a quick cycle which would create bad params.

Any way I have the system set up and fictional!
I am not running it yet, still waiting for the cycle to finish.
Components are home depot 5 gal bucket with bulkhead & valve.
Custom siphon overflow made from PVC pipe.
Another 5 gal Home depot bucket for waste water.
Pics are coming

Greg

·
Registered
841 Posts
Good photos, care to explain in detail or add some captions. I think I got it figured out but just wanted to be sure.

Ive also read that with drip systems that the turnover rate need to be considerable more than the standared 30% change per week. I dont personally know but its something Ive read.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good photos, care to explain in detail or add some captions. I think I got it figured out but just wanted to be sure.

Ive also read that with drip systems that the turnover rate need to be considerable more than the standared 30% change per week. I dont personally know but its something Ive read.
No problem, the pics of the PVC siphon over flow are self explanatory.
the small 1/2" line draws the water out of the tank onto the 1 1/2" pipe.
Inside is a 3/4" standpipe which maintains tank water level.
I have a power head attached to the siphon line which draws out the air bubbles that collect in the line.
The flow to the power head is controlled by kinking the line which keeps the siphon running perfect.
As you can see in the pics I am using a 5 gal HD bucket to catch the waste water and another that will be placed above the tank as the gravity drip.
Flow of the gravity drip will be controlled by the valve/ bulkhead that can be seen in the pics above.
The second U shaped tube in the stand pipe breather line it just simply act as a silencer.
It can be removed easily by just lifting it out, and may be done away with all together if the flow I set up doesn't cause a gurgle in the stand pipe.
What it not shown in the pics is the inlet for the siphon I simply used a quick connect fitting like on the bottom
of the overflow and attached a black strainer.
It is a simple but functional setup.
All said and done I spent $38 total and 6 hrs of my time.
Here is a link to a drip/water change calculator I found.
Drip calc
Not factoring in evaporation I will be changing 47.08 % per week if I drip 5 gal a day into a 55.
As I noted before am planning on documenting the growth rate of the rhom I place in this tank.
I have read several online articles that speculate that a possible cause to some of the slower growth rates
seen in Rhoms could be related to moderate to high trates and ions.
What better way to control these to params than constantly adding water that is lacking them?
Anyway if I missed something let me know!

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts