Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my new 150 Gal AGA tank on sunday and was looking into getting it drilled. Since I know the manufacturer and possibly the year the tank was constructed, I was thinking of calling them up and asking if the back of my tank can be drilled.

Does anyone know how much it usually costs to get holes drilled and if youre in the New England area, any recommendations as for a place I should call?

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
Depends on if your tank is glass or acrylic. Glass will need a diamond drill bit while acrylic will not and the bit can be had at your local hardware store for alot cheaper. The diamond one would cost 80-100 bucks for a diy project. As for someone doing it expect atleast the price of the bit for 3 holes.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerry_plakyda said:
Depends on if your tank is glass or acrylic. Glass will need a diamond drill bit while acrylic will not and the bit can be had at your local hardware store for alot cheaper. The diamond one would cost 80-100 bucks for a diy project. As for someone doing it expect atleast the price of the bit for 3 holes.
[snapback]849201[/snapback]​
It's a glass tank. So it may be worthwhile to buy a bit and do it myself? I'm a little hesitant about doing this, I dont want to end up with a useless tank.

Have you done this yourself before?

· Registered
5,349 Posts
i seen a guy at my lfs do it. he tapes up the tank with masking tape made X out of the tape on the side he wanted and drilled the whole

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I'm undecided. It would be nice, but an external overflow could save a potential disaster. I guess I'll call around and see how much it would cost.

· Registered
940 Posts
do it yourself you will save money
and u dont NEED a diamond bit they are better but a carbide bit is much cheaper but a little higher risk of cracking tank but if u tape it up with duct tape or masking it shouldnt crack when u start the hole be very careful and cut slowly and you will be golden
good luck
peace

· Registered
498 Posts
Hey acid
Go to a glass shop that specializes in custom glass and mirror installation.

For a tank that size, you're dealing with 1/2" or 12mm glass and you'll need to have it drilled with a proper "tube" type drill that's set-up on a tripod
These tube drill bits alone, cost between $50-$120. (trade price) and need proper lubricatation while the drilling process is being performed so as not to heat up the glass too much.

FYI - Most glass shops will not guarantee that you're glass will not break during the drilling serice... It's not always an easy task and usually work best on new glass as opposed to glass that has aged.

Trust me or not, I am in the business and see these requests all the time.
We would normally charge between $40-60 for drilling something like yours but we would request you to bring the tank into us....
We're in Canada and the US but not every state....Hope this helps

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I don't know if im going to get it done right now, but I after reading about it and your posts, if I do, I'm definitely going to go with a glass shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.