Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collected some sweet pieces of driftwood for my tank a few days ago, just wondering how you guys prepared it. I've heard lots of people soak it in bleached water for 2 12 hour cycles then soak in regualr water for a couple days but I also heard this is bad. What you guys think?
Dave

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Thats what I did, I soaked it in water with bleach for around 24 hours, then soaked it in plain water for 24 hours, when water with bleach for 24 hours, then water with declorinator for 12 hours rinsed it off very well and then soaked it again with the declorinator for 12 hours or so, then I let it dry completely. took a few days but worked of me, I never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think if you just soak it in water with salt added to it this might also help.
If you do add it to the tank just keep a close eye on the fish and the water parameters for the next little bit. things should be ok

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
personally I don't like bleach anywhere near my fish stuff, I soak driftwood untill it stops coloring the water, I also change the water it is soaking in every 12 hours. it takes a few days.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Supernate has a tutorial either here or on his site on how to prepare driftwood. Check that out and let us know if it worked for you

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
i dont know why, maybe its becuase i am dumb, but bleaching a pice of wood for my fish tank ... no thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
all i did was spray it off real good than put it in the tank it worked fine
i payed $55 for my drift wood its pritty damn big it beraly fits in my 120gal

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
you guys should talk to Myka about it, she decided no to bleach her wood and I think some really bad stuff happened from her wood, I think it killed her fish or it introduced parasites or something, trust me you need to boil it or bleach it

·
Registered
211 Posts
I heard both theories 1) boiling water 2) bleach

as for me, i would use boiling water and NO bleach. If you want to be sure, first use bleach, then use boiling water, then rinse, rinse and oh did i say rinse? lol. I got to imagine having boiling water added everyday for a few days will kill any bacteria and parasites.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I boiled and bleached mine. I didn't wanna fill up a bathtub with boiling water and driftwood, so I could do as good as a job with the larger pieces. Small pieces I just put in an old pot with water and threw it on the stove. Larger pieces I placed in a rubbermaid and pour boiling water in it. Did this for 2 days then bleached it on and off for 2 more days. Then boiled again. Worked out just fine for me but still looking for that right one to place in my 135.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I bought my driftwood 3 weeks ago, boiled it everyday since I got it. And till now, it still tarnish the water. Now Im deciding to do the bleach method. This is a huge piece of driftwood (33"x12" $19.95) that I couldn't pass up. But Im getting really irritated just to prepare it for decoration.
If nothing happens after one more week of this sh**, you'll be seeing it in the *BUY and SELL* forum.

*Also, doesnt driftwood lower the PH in a tank?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
All I did with every piece of wood I have in my tank is boil it for two hours, with a little salt added (don't know why, guess I read it somewhere...), and then leave it under running cold water for about 10-15 minutes. I never had any trouble, but perhaps it's just dumb luck...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts