Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I went to the Potomac River this weekend to pick out some driftwood for my tanks. Is there any type of wood I should avoid? How will it effect my water chemistry?

I am planning on using Sir Nathans instructions for preperation found here.

Has anyone used this process before (I know Nate has). Does it work well, how could you improve the process?
 

·
Death is fair to everyone.
Joined
·
5,310 Posts
Looks good. I have gotten my own. And i boil in a large pot for an hour on high. Then i just let soak in a doube dose of mycerin 2 for 2 days. Then use carbon it. And soak for a day. Then throw in the tank. I haven't had a prob.
Nate's looks good also.
 

·
Dodge City
Joined
·
10,070 Posts
I found this piece while boating about 6 years ago, I grabbed it from the water and kept it around . It did duty in my Burms cage for a while before it became a lawn ornament for a couple years. When I did this tank recently I grabbed it from the lawn and soaked it in the bathtub for a few hours changing the water to keep it scalding hot and let it dry after.
There was just no way to boil this piece of wood because of the size.
The slate I used to anchor the wood down weighs 21lbs. and when I checked a day or two ago , it still needed most of it .I'd say that the wood fully submerged with the slate weighs less than 10 lbs.
So far so good.
The tank is 36Lx24H and it was a bitch to get the wood in there around the center support, I had to cut a few inches off the lower right end .
 

·
The ASSMAN
Joined
·
20,469 Posts
I pretty much just soak it in diluted bleach for a few days, and then in diluted declorinator for a few days, take it out and let it dry for a day or so.....I havent had any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,692 Posts
What might help to remove a slimey or mushy layer on top (from lying in the water all the time) and crude pieces of dirt, is to scrub it for a while with a metal brush or similar before boiling...
Other than that, just boil it for a couple of hours, some add salt or bleach (if you fancy messing around with chemicals, that is....) to the water to remove little critters and chemicals. Probably unnecessary to mention, but if you use any additions to the boiling water, make sure that you give it an extra round of boiling in just tap water!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,133 Posts
Myka I believe skipped my process and ended up with dead fish. I wish I could find out somewhere which types of wood hold up best underwater, if anybody knows a link please share.

Mike make sure to remove all sharp edges as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,133 Posts
oh, and certain woods leach stuff into the water, so read up on types of wood in your area, and it should say on some govt or science site about what properties the wood has, then learn to ID your wood
 

·
The ASSMAN
Joined
·
20,469 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
no no, just saying before you put something in your tank you should find out exactly what all you are putting in your tank ( bacteria, parasites, disease)
Sorry, I just found that statement very funny.
Depending on size, there are many ways to prepare driftwood for the tank, each being effective in its own way. I prefer using bleach because it is impractical to use boiling with larger pieces and that is what I like in my tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,133 Posts
grosse gurke said:
Sir Nathan XXI said:
no no, just saying before you put something in your tank you should find out exactly what all you are putting in your tank ( bacteria, parasites, disease)
Sorry, I just found that statement very funny.
Depending on size, there are many ways to prepare driftwood for the tank, each being effective in its own way. I prefer using bleach because it is impractical to use boiling with larger pieces and that is what I like in my tank.
exactly,

how in the world could the avg joe boil a large piece of driftwood,.......................... they cant so thats where the bleach came from, besides its just as easy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,692 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
oh, and certain woods leach stuff into the water, so read up on types of wood in your area, and it should say on some govt or science site about what properties the wood has, then learn to ID your wood
I guess you mean wood from needle trees like pine, fir or cedar?
If so, I second your statement: these types of wood can leach resin (sp?) into the water (don't think that's very good for fish...), so I would stay away from that!
 

·
what up NINJA
Joined
·
4,581 Posts
Judazzz said:
Sir Nathan XXI said:
oh, and certain woods leach stuff into the water, so read up on types of wood in your area, and it should say on some govt or science site about what properties the wood has, then learn to ID your wood
I guess you mean wood from needle trees like pine, fir or cedar?
If so, I second your statement: these types of wood can leach resin (sp?) into the water (don't think that's very good for fish...), so I would stay away from that!
Check this link for poisionous wood

JUGLONE: Nut Tree Poison
 

·
Dodge City
Joined
·
10,070 Posts
I had to take my driftwood out. Looks like the 2 years on the front lawn caused some dryrot .
Might try taking it to the car wash and using the high pressure there and se what comes off it.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top