Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up about three pieces of driftwood from the ocean each about 2'-3' long and i would like to know how to prepare to put them in my 55 g tank. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of letting it soak in freshwater to get the salt off the surface, then soak it in bleach and repeat the process. After that i would anchor it with slate. has anyone done this before?

·
I HAVE THE SOUVLAKI POWER!!!!!
3,689 Posts
i 've never done it with a saltwater but for sure you have to wash the salt off and then boil it with water........

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Atlanta Braves Baby! said:
i would definatly think twice about using driftwood from the ocean. It might be a big risk.
I agree too much salt residue built up and other bacteria from the beach

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think i might still try if i don't have any money to get some from the LFS. I don't know how to boil these pieces of driftwood, they are about 2-3' long. Where can I find a pan that big? And the bleach is supposed to kill bacteria, so I won't need anti-bacterial medicine
which sounds a little strange anyways. Do you really think there will be a high salt concentration in it? I will lick it first to see if there is.

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
no we just said that for fun
Well if you dont have the money to buy driftwood from the store then i wouldnt put ant in.... is it worth risking your fish?

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can do it, but just spend a LOT more time doing it. Like do it over and over and over. And no bleach, just hot water. I dont know any bacteria that can withstand boiling water for hours.

take all your piranhas and put it in another tank, with exception of 1, and see how he does, then if hes ok, them move them back over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts