Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I followed nathans guide. I just did the 12 hour bleech. I used like a 15:1 ratio tho I didnt want to much bleech. Anyways Is my wood suppose to turn white??? If so will it get back its color?? I dont use bleech at all so I am not sure if I did it right. I am new to this and prob messed up somewhere. Anyways I empty the water out and added hot water with dychlorinator. More like triple the dose to make sure I get the bleech out and I am going to repeat it in the morning. Then I am going to let the wood dry out in my basement next to my furnace for awhile then resoak and then Goldfish test it to see if they live for a week or so. Well Anyways the real thing I want to know is the color going to come back. Sorry if this is a dumb question I am a newb. thx for any help.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I put a piece in my 29 that I bleached like 10 times (it was stubborn). It is almost back to normal already...looks great..been about a month

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I hope the driftwood works out for ya. I'm new to this site too and I live right next to the ocean and badly want to add some drift wood to our tank and have gone around the pet stores but they either don't have what I want or its too expensive so I've decided I'm gonna spend a afternoon soon looking for some along the beach but what is the best and safest way to clean it for the tank? I know this question has been asked before but can't seem to find it. Sorry. I'm wondering if bleach is really the best thing. I don't know.

Thanks, Les

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if i could find like a cauldren or something I would have just boiled mine but I couldnt so I used the bleech. I hope it turns out ok. In the end I will find some way to get decent parasite free driftwood without paying a lfs.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I bleach it...works great...tried the whole boiling (on the off chance they are small enough)...it just makes a mess and doesn't really work to my satisfaction. I want the water clear, not brown. So I bleach the crap out of it (the last piece I did took over 20 gallons of bleach..had to use my bathtub).

I'll put it in an appropriately sized container, then boil water in my largest pots and pour it over the wood over and over until the water level is almost over the driftwood, then pour in enough bleach to equal 10%. you may have to weigh down the wood to keep it all underwater, what i did was take a 2 lb weight and wrap it in an old rag (it will disinigrate, so don't use your favorite towel). It keeps the weight from staining the driftwood.

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Yes the color will come back. Dont worry about it. I used his method also, and doubled up on the declor step and all worked GREAT!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Lyle said:
I bleach it...works great...tried the whole boiling (on the off chance they are small enough)...it just makes a mess and doesn't really work to my satisfaction. I want the water clear, not brown. So I bleach the crap out of it (the last piece I did took over 20 gallons of bleach..had to use my bathtub).

I'll put it in an appropriately sized container, then boil water in my largest pots and pour it over the wood over and over until the water level is almost over the driftwood, then pour in enough bleach to equal 10%. you may have to weigh down the wood to keep it all underwater, what i did was take a 2 lb weight and wrap it in an old rag (it will disinigrate, so don't use your favorite towel). It keeps the weight from staining the driftwood.
[snapback]882714[/snapback]​
I went and bought a 55 gallon trash can because my dw was huge. I did the same thing that lyle did and my dw's color came back also and looks great.

G

·
I've never used bleach on anything that goes into my fishtank. I just feel that old wood is so porous and absorbant, the wood may exude bleach back into the water over time.

If the wood was collected on land, what could be so horrible on that wood that it needs to be sterilized? Your fishtank isn't sterile.

The greater threat is that the wood in water is going to disintegrate into pulp and turn your water into an opaque, brown, slurry. Or maybe the wood itself is going to release natural chemicals in the water that your fish can't live with.

Wood collected from water demands a bit more preparation because it has various aquatic lifeforms living on and in the wood.

I boil small pieces of wood that I collect myself, and the large pieces of Malaysian Bogwood that I bought in the store, I soak in hot tap water in a rubbermaid tub; changing the water 2 or 3 times a day. This I do just to clean the wood, identify any soft spots, and knock-off some of the tannic-acid it will release.

I'm not saying I'm right, this is just my opinion and experiences with wood.

[Edit] I do bleach objects going into reptile cages to avoid contaminating the cage with external parasites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts