Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does everyone use or do to keep their driftwood from floating to the top??? i dont want to do anything to it that would harm my fish......... thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you get the Malaysian driftwood, it will soak up water and sink. It takes a couple of weeks. Otherwise see above. Malaysian is really dark, almost red. Regular is lighter in color and will never sink.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
if the druftwood is shaped properly you can put heavier objects such as rocks and or decors on top of it until the wood has become completly saturated.
Its also a good idea to attack it some way as suggested above to another heavier object and make sure all contents are marine safe and compatable
good luck :
:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I use a piece of plexiglass and put a screw through it into the wood, then burry it in gravel

use slate tile, other tiles will leach crap into the water

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
i used fish anchors(weights)..drilled it to the bottom of the driftwood

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
I've a piece of slate that's 21lbs to hold the driftwood down in my tank.
I drilled two holes through the slate and countersunk them slightly.
I used two stainless screws to secure the slate to the wood.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Slate, plexi, screws, weights, rocks all can help. Also trying to drain all the oxygen from the driftwood by boiling it for weeks and even months. Sure shot way of treating and sinking..

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
one thing u might wanna note is, once the wood gets saturated with water, it will sink on its own. Alot of the time, it will work if u just let the wood float on the surface and slowly saturate... most ppl say it only takes a few days. But weighing it down doesnt hurt either, of course

·
Registered
500 Posts
I used a old under ground filtr plastic piece i had laying around and screwed it to the bottom of the wood,threw all the substate and a coulple larger river rocks on top of the UGF peice.After about 3 weeks it was saturated enough to where I was able to remove the river rocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts