Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
piranha45 said:
what 'dragon fish' are you referring to? there's a number of different fish species that this name is arbitrarily granted to.
[snapback]874122[/snapback]​
The one that has an almost skeleton like body. It looka likea eel and really little beedy eyes.

· reasonably awesome
7,332 Posts
They're brackish-water filter feeders. They are all bark and no bite. They are harmless filter-feeders, they feed in the wild by gulping large amounts of sand and then siphoning out microorganisms in the sand through their gills. They are not aggressive at all, and are indeed quite blind. They are also extremely inactive, acting like a dead log most of the time.

Basically, they are a fuckin lousy fish to own.

here's fishbase's little factsheet on them
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSum...e=broussonnetii

· Registered
667 Posts
Acually they are not filter feeders, most people believe this because when they suck up food off the bottom, most of it is expelled through the gills and only a little makes it into their stomach, try feeding them frozen blood worms, mine devour them. they grow to a max of 22"

· Registered
311 Posts
Ccoralli said:
Acually they are not filter feeders, most people believe this because when they suck up food off the bottom, most of it is expelled through the gills and only a little makes it into their stomach, try feeding them frozen blood worms, mine devour them. they grow to a max of 22"
[snapback]878445[/snapback]​
I feed mine some cut up shrimp and blood worms and he eats it up pretty good I also feed him tetras..

· Registered
11 Posts
They are not lousy fish to own. They aren't as inactive as you suggest either. Mine like to swim back and forth somestimes for hours at the top of the tank. That's a sight to see. Other times they sit at the bottom and look for food. Mine never stays completly hidden so I can always look at him. I've owned maybe 6 or 7 of them total at this point. They are very interesting and unusual. Juvies can get along in groups but adults are best house one of that species per tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.