Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wont to make aquarium size 200x60x50 [cm] 600L, but I have doubts about stand for aquarium should I make it from steal or some kind of plyfood. Can stand from plywood hold more then 600kg? All suggestions will help, and pictures of stands. thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
i made my 157 gallon tank stand out off 2x3

·
5,336 Posts
600Kilos x 2.2046lbs per kilo (dont ask how i know that) is about 1350 lbs , now my dual 55 gall has about 917 lbs of water (8.3452641x110), 120 lbs of rock total, and the weight of hoods, and filters etc.... so it is definately not a problem to support that...

ill dig up the pics from makin it for ya....

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i built me stand like house walls (i framed it in) will hold a brick shithouse

·
Registered
88 Posts
i would also suggest as the last few have...build it like a house

figure this..how much weight is over a door way (i dont really know the #'s but alot im sure). 2 2x4's nailed together will give u the strength. make sure the 2" sides of the board are horizontal.

good luck with your massive project

PS

Malock...very nice job on that stand, not really into snakes, but very much like what you did with the fish up top and the snake in the bottom

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
ya a few 2x4's would work but i would go with 4x4's if i where u... and don't take any short cuts. u will need all the supports u can get.
i used 2 (2x4's) shaped like an L for each corner on my stand (110)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
imo 4x4 are too heavy and you can strap 2x4's together and will be stout by far!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for reply, I have just one more question when you say 4x4 or 2x4 you mean, how much should be thick support legs of stand, and that is in inches. In centimeters that would be 10cm by 10cm or 10cm by 5cm, am I right? Or I am completely wrong!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you all for reply, I have just one more question when you say 4x4 or 2x4 you mean, how much should be thick support legs of stand, and that is in inches. In centimeters that would be 10cm by 10cm or 10cm by 5cm, am I right? Or I am completely wrong!
2X4 or 4X4 are the size of the boards of lumber and is in inches. im not sure what that would be in CM.
also...im not sure the actual size ...but i do know that they arent actually 2"x4"...they used to be, but have been trimmed down to (i think) 1.5"x3.5". something to keep in mind when your makeing your measurements.

·
5,336 Posts
rough cut is 2x4"... they trim down to a smaller "finish grade".... same with a 2x6, 2x8 and 2x10 up and up... its what it starts as, not finishes as... and you subtract 1/2" for the finish grade measurement (typically)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts