Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
DonH Posted: May 1 2003, 09:53 AM
Size of fish always seem to be over-guestimated. I bought this supposed 12" tern and decided to measure it, Just a tad bit over 10" :
Here is my re-calibration of your photo Don, there about a 3-4 mm + or - on the length. Enjoy

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Where did you get the fish from? Sucks though, thats a big difference.

~Dj

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
InSinUAsian Posted on May 10 2003, 11:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where did you get the fish from? Sucks though, thats a big difference.

~Dj

You have a short memory!

Pfury Thread

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Never never never measure your fish. You will only wind up disappointed. :sad:

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
That's because some people think the snout means the lower jaw. Its not:

snout = the tip of the head in front of the eyes. Pirana jaw sizes are variable among populations and whether or not the mouth is closed when measuring. This method I'm showing gives exact measurements that are fixed.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
8.5", 10" so what? I can see being irked about buying it as a 12" fish, that's not exactly honest but there's just way too much emphasis on fish size: IT DOESN'T MATTER.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
frank,why is it the the lower jaw isn't a starting point or ending point in the measurement of the fish?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Because the snout isn't variable like the lower jaw like he said...the lower jaw varies and doesn't help when trying to have a standardized form of measuring.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
lower jaws vary from blisters and sores as well, so that makes it a poor choice too

price only matters with prices and tank size needed, one of my smaller cariba rule the shoal

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Thanks for the accurate measurement Frank...
Never never never measure your fish. You will only wind up disappointed.
I'm not disappointed. It is still a very nice fish. A tad over 9" or a tad over 10" does not make a big difference to me, but now I know how to measure it after it stays in my indoor pond after a year.

BTW, for those who are laughing... why? Do YOU have a better fish?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DonH Posted on May 11 2003, 05:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the accurate measurement Frank...
Never never never measure your fish. You will only wind up disappointed.

I'm not disappointed. It is still a very nice fish. A tad over 9" or a tad over 10" does not make a big difference to me, but now I know how to measure it after it stays in my indoor pond after a year.
BTW, for those who are laughing... why? Do YOU have a better fish?
I was wondering about that myself. Your fish is impressive even at the size it is recorded at.

And thank you for the compliment.

·
Registered
722 Posts
dude thats a sweet ass fish id love to have one that size.....all the people on here hung up on fish sizes kinda bothers me reminds me of 3rd grade with the "my dad can beat up your dad" ...im in this hobby because i enjoy piranhas not to impress anyone

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
piranha 13 said:
I think they are laughing because you bought a 12" fish and got a 9.5" or around that size fish.
If we were to measure every piranha we bought the way that Frank showed us, I'm sure that everyone is in the same boat.

Serrapygo: This ternetzi, and another large one that I have, came from your friend Ryan (Piranhnut) so you probably know the quality of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts