Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my Spilo has been acting a little weird. Like when I used to drop in crushed pellets he would wtch them fall down to his level and he would just swim around and catch them before the hit the ground. But not when I drop them in he sits at one end of the tank and dart out and grabs it on his way to the other side of the tank.

I just dropped in a piece of fish for him and he like attacked the meat, grabbed it, shook it around a little bit and then left it. I know he ate some of it. But he didnt eat the whole thing. I am gonna leave the fish in there and hopefully he will eat it byt the time I get back home. But is this normal. Do they attack all of their food like this? Is this a good sign or aggression??

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
My pygos would let it hit bottom before eating it and sometimes wait about 10 minutes to eat. Now they race to the surface when I open the lid after I have the food cup infront of the tank, its a conditioned response though.

My Elongatus gets feeders mostly and he will eat a few with in the first several seconds.

My Ternetzi eats as many as he can in the first minute which is about 10 of them

My Spilo CF is unpredictable

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know whether to take this as a sign that he is really getting aggressive or if he just doesnt like the food. I mean before I would at least see him eat it all. the more food is wasted and rots on the bottom the more I gotta clean and such. I know I can take the fish chucks out but with pellets, you cant really do that unless you take out the gravel cleaner and I dont plan on doing that everytiem I feed him pellets.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
my reds will let the food sit for a while then eat it the whitebait will either sink to the bottom straight away or float at the top then sink and they usually wait till it hits the bottom.alot of the time they also leave the heads

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I would take it as he is getting aggressive but as piranhas become older and pass their initial growth spurt they do not require as much food in a day. Maybe you should try feeding him less often.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
My RBPs will let the food hit the bottom most of the time before they eat. Sometimes they will get it as it's coming down. They will usually just eat some let it sit then eat more later.

·
Registered
834 Posts
As soon as the food hits the tank my p's hit it, nothing lands on the bottom, if anything they eat out of each others mouths cause usually one snagged it and the others go nuts. Another thing ive been doing for the past few months is only feeding every other day, noticed a big change in there appeitite and also the water conditions are a lot better.

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
I have the same setup as you Hannibal

I know each fish is different, but my spilo very rarely eats the food I feed him right away, it usually sits there for at least 5 minutes, then sometimes, he will dart up to it, stop, swim away, then come back and tear into it. Its amusing to watch. but then other times, like last night, i fed him an earthworm, and he was on it as soon as it hit the bottom.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think what a lot of people are noticing with some of there fish especially solo pirahnas is that sometime there hunger drive is not there when they are the only one in the tank. I had a solo pygo which was like that and after be putting him in a tank with others he sorta woke up and decided he needed to go and eat right away otherwise he won't get anything. Ofcourse though shoaling spilos is a bit more challeging it might do the trick to see them eat more and a little quicker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts