Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 5-6" Black Mask Elong from aquascape and for some reason the fish I got does not look like a Black Mask Elong, it more looks like the regular elong. Can someone help me out and tell me which Elong this is...

Attachments

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
No mask in sight right now but ive seen supposed black masks that never show their mask unless its the right conditions...try a dark gravel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got him yesterday and thats how he came. How do I fix the fin problem? I have a 100g with FX5 filter. So it looks just like a regular elong to most of you guys?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
piranha will heal up pretty fast...just add some aqaurium salt and melafix in to your tank, read direction on the back of the lable...do about 40-50% water change weekly until it heal up.

yes is jut a regular Elong

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yeah, looks like a reg. elong...
How big is he?
I've heard that they don't get the "Mask" until they reach a certain size.

(I don't have any first hand experience with elongs, but will come Saturday... getting one shipped then.)

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Yes, that looks like a normal S. elongatus. I would send that picture to Pedro, or better yet, a link to this thread. He will take care of you.

~Taylor~

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yeah, Pedro is a great guy and he will take care of you.

IMO - Reg. Elong

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Yes, that looks like a normal S. elongatus. I would send that picture to Pedro, or better yet, a link to this thread. He will take care of you.

~Taylor~
Come on guys, do I need to point out the obvious. He just received the elong yesterday, the black mask which is coloring won't be there cause the fish is still stressed from the shipment and new home. Give him a couple weeks, that black mask will come back. I have also heard stories from people that black masks will come and go. Just give the fish some time to adjust to the tank, 2 -4 weeks, then you should see something. (Hopefully)

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I ordered a 5-6" Black Mask Elong from aquascape and for some reason the fish I got does not look like a Black Mask Elong, it more looks like the regular elong. Can someone help me out and tell me which Elong this is...
Whats up Jerambis, Don't worry this its not uncommon. You need to give him some time to adjust to his new surroundings. Shipping and a new home can cause stress. If you look at his tail you can see that its solid black and his black markings (spots) are dominate opposed to the silvery reg elong. Here are some pics.
Reg elong: notice the tail.
P.S I wanted to call you but I don't have ur order ID. Feel free to call me and ask me anything, also just treat with some aquarium salt and that tail will heal in no time.

Alex

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,270 Posts

~Taylor~
Come on guys, do I need to point out the obvious. He just received the elong yesterday, the black mask which is coloring won't be there cause the fish is still stressed from the shipment and new home. Give him a couple weeks, that black mask will come back. I have also heard stories from people that black masks will come and go. Just give the fish some time to adjust to the tank, 2 -4 weeks, then you should see something. (Hopefully)
[/quote]

my words exactly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I talked with Pedro on the phone and he was a big help. It is a black mask, it just takes a few days to get his "mask." I am on my way to go get stuff for his tail right now. Thanks Pedro and everyone else at aquascape for the fish and all the help!

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
might not take a few days, it may just happen periodically. my elong usually has just a black humeral spot or nothing showing, only sometimes does he have a full black mask.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I was wondering if it was stress myself, but I thought that there would be at least some sort of darkness there if it was a true 'mask'. Either way he will turn out to be a great fish.

~Taylor~

·
Registered
558 Posts
since u got it yesturday then its still stressed out from the trip give it some time and it should come up then if not u have ur answer

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yeah, I just got my black mask elong from Pedro today, and it looks exactly like yours.
Damn this dude is hot!

Right after putting him in the tank I realized I wanted to move the tank to the other side of the room so I did a 50% water change and moved it while it was half empty... AS WE WERE MOVING IT the damn thing chases down and bites a platy in half.

I had just put him in the tank!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts