Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my parents weekend house, we have lakes and ponds there and anyway last weekend i went there and was just wondering what if i had heaters and other equipment and put piranhas in there.

I am in a legal state and since it is private property, there will be no complaints. I would have to fence the area in because if my dogs decide to take a swim or neighbors kid falls in i will be in deep trouble.

Has anybody done this or thought about it? they have koi ponds so why not piranha ponds?


I dont know the gallons of the pond, but put it this way: its about 5 to 6feet or deeper, there is an island in the middle of the pond and a board walkway to get across, and i would guess its about 3 or 4 swimming pools (surface area wise). Since its a circle shape its hard to get dimensions on it.

What kind of heaters and pumps will i need? whats the legality if a kid falls in? how much will it cost to set up something like this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
You would be in deep sh*t if someone was to fall in. I have heard of it being talked about before, but would not recommend it. And why would you want p's in a pond, you wont be able to see them, and as for me I love watching my p's.
 

·
Got Rice?!?
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
Just keep in mind that being a responsible fish owner should be number one. What good would it be to add p's to a pond? There can only be negative effects of doing something like that.

I just dont understand what you think will be the benifit of populating an outdoor pond with p's?

~Dj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i kind of thought about that too, cause you cant really see them unless you use "bait" like a steak on a string then you can see them come up. or some kind of floating food.

When it comes to feeding just picture taking a box full of rats and throwing it in the pond <- but i dont think that will work cause they can just swim to the edge and get out


Throw a goat or cow in there
<JUST KIDDING>!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh i just thought of a "reason" or "purpose" for a pond. Lets say you want to breed cariba or pirayas, would that work?
 

·
Got Rice?&#33;?
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
The temperture and water conditions would not provide adequate perameters for P spawning. I could be wrong though.

~Dj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,105 Posts
Is that the pond where u thinking of putting Ps in there?...having a school of Ps in a pond is an enormous responsibility...even if itz a private pond who knows what might happened...and Ps might ended up banned in the US if any $hitty thing occurred......anyway......the good thing is...i do like the idea...but i doubted that the water parameter is fit to raised Ps....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,634 Posts
No doubt it would be badass, but I wouldn't recommend it. Like you mentioned, and everyone else reinforced, there could be very bad consequences if someone did wander in. I think it would be kind of badass though, crazy feeding frenzies


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,133 Posts
I knew there were a few people who kept Ps in outdoor ponds for the summer, but they were really small and then they were netted up and back in a aquarium for the winter

I dont remember exactly who they were though but member elongatus was one of them I think

you pond looks a little too big to ever catch them and get them back
 

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
Joined
·
4,277 Posts
WOULD BE SWEET BUT U COULDNT SEE THEM AND god forbid something or someone fell in the trouble u'd be in would be crazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,223 Posts
Never ever ever ever ever release your piranha to the outdoors. NEVER EVER. I know what you are gonna say, its a closed pond, where will they go??? Dear god responsibility NUMBER ONE when owning these fish is to not release it from the aquarium. Some dumb ass in maryland decided to release a Snakehead last year to a pond and look what happened...they had to poison a large track of lakes and streams and almost got them illegalized in MD.

Dont do it, dont think about it....not a good idea.


xenon
 

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
Joined
·
18,487 Posts
ezlife said:
just wondering what if i had heaters and other equipment and put piranhas in there.

I am in a legal state and since it is private property, there will be no complaints. I would have to fence the area in because if my dogs decide to take a swim or neighbors kid falls in i will be in deep trouble.
This has been thought of by soo many people...

Honestly.. water conditioning would have to be done more periodically due to chemicals in the rain, weather conditions, and other factors outside of the pond.

Concerns with equipment migh cause alot of probs also. YOu dont live in anywhere close to the Amazon, so you'll need expensive filteration since you dont have a river to help clean out your tank... Heat is a main concern since temperature drops and climbs in most areas of the state.

Last but not least.. Kids falling in the tank isn't just your concern. Your Ps would only be prey to outside and wild animals. Raccoons, Hawks, wild cats and even your neighbors might be a threat to your Ps. You dont really want to come to your pond with less and less fish every morning...
 

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
Joined
·
4,277 Posts
RhomZilla said:
ezlife said:
just wondering what if i had heaters and other equipment and put piranhas in there.

I am in a legal state and since it is private property, there will be no complaints. I would have to fence the area in because if my dogs decide to take a swim or neighbors kid falls in i will be in deep trouble.
This has been thought of by soo many people...

Honestly.. water conditioning would have to be done more periodically due to chemicals in the rain, weather conditions, and other factors outside of the pond.

Concerns with equipment migh cause alot of probs also. YOu dont live in anywhere close to the Amazon, so you'll need expensive filteration since you dont have a river to help clean out your tank... Heat is a main concern since temperature drops and climbs in most areas of the state.

Last but not least.. Kids falling in the tank isn't just your concern. Your Ps would only be prey to outside and wild animals. Raccoons, Hawks, wild cats and even your neighbors might be a threat to your Ps. You dont really want to come to your pond with less and less fish every morning...
good point
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,592 Posts
Yeah you wouldnt want to put your P's outside unless you live up here cause well they would die cause its too cold... so Nah, dont do it... had some freezing rain today too and frost on the car here this morning, so not even a thought in my mind
 

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
Joined
·
19,142 Posts
Xenon said:
Never ever ever ever ever release your piranha to the outdoors. NEVER EVER. I know what you are gonna say, its a closed pond, where will they go??? Dear god responsibility NUMBER ONE when owning these fish is to not release it from the aquarium. Some dumb ass in maryland decided to release a Snakehead last year to a pond and look what happened...they had to poison a large track of lakes and streams and almost got them illegalized in MD.

Dont do it, dont think about it....not a good idea.


xenon
listen to the chief..it would be awesome sight..but just not worth the risk.....
 

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
Joined
·
18,487 Posts
thePACK said:
Xenon said:
Never ever ever ever ever release your piranha to the outdoors. NEVER EVER. I know what you are gonna say, its a closed pond, where will they go??? Dear god responsibility NUMBER ONE when owning these fish is to not release it from the aquarium. Some dumb ass in maryland decided to release a Snakehead last year to a pond and look what happened...they had to poison a large track of lakes and streams and almost got them illegalized in MD.

Dont do it, dont think about it....not a good idea.


xenon
listen to the chief..it would be awesome sight..but just not worth the risk.....
Not to mention the fact that alot of folks who own any of these magnificent fish, would be in front of your doorstep trying to knockdown, burn or vandalize your house... Who wouldn't get pissed off if their hobby was taken away from them and illegalized???
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top