Piranhas Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
did a massive water change today and tossed in a bunch of feeders, they were a little fired up as the tank temp went back up into the mid 80's, but nothing real definite, yet. the male esp. was a little agitated and he was picking at the gravel for a bit...BUT, he may have been picking at that goddamn coconut fiber i put in there a while back that turned into a mess and clogged up my filters...some have had success with it as a medium for them to breed onto, but for me, personally i wouldn't use it again, gets to be a pain as it breaks apart.

well, since i have left the decor in place for a while now, no changes, the pair is at least both very dark, not as stressed and settling in...though they have had 5+ months for that
maybe its a good sign, AND i've been around the fish more, but close to it less.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
try just doing no wc for a week or so with no food then after a week or so do some big wc and feed
i would also not move anything around and mayby cover the tank

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
that;s my plan, i havn't moved anything around for a bit, they are pretty settled in, i can tell by they lighten up considerably with stress.

we'll see what happens, don't plan another wc anyway till sunday at the earliest

the male is ready, i'm fairly certain, just no one wants to do sexy time with him

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Anything to update about?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wonder, maybe you should speak with demdesbri, forgot how to spell their handle, but maybe if you could design your tank like they had it set up as well as mimick the water params, maybe they'll breed? just a thought

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
lol, the two reds i bought at my LFS seem to be very close to breeding. one was moving gravel around for at least a few hours or so, with help a little from the other one. they were also chasing and fighting with the other pygos in the tank, protecting one area, and being all around more aggressive and active, moving alot as well. they seemed to be doing the dance a little as well.

what stopped them, for now, is i took all the other pygos out of the tank, i had to, there was a nice large piraya in with them (among others). they got a little stressed when i had the net in the tank removing the others, and havn't started up yet. i used the short opportunity to give em some feeders and raise the temp just a little, from like 80 to 82 or so.

i hope it works. they both have some nice purplish tint on them as well. i was talking to Draven1 yesterday and i was planning on selling them to him! lol, until this happened! we'll see, funny how sh*t happens sometimes...the ones i bought as a breeding pair, nothing, now this with ones from my LFS.

i'll keep you posted

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well, good luck with the LFS pair then.

Oh, whats your pH at by the way?
Ever check on water hardness?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
water is probably similiar to your tap water, except i get mine from lake erie. ph is alkaline, like 7.6, maybe lil lower cuz driftwood is in there. i don't bother altering the ph or hardness.

how long does the breeding process take? they are paired up together in one side of the tank and constantly moving gravel around, for the last 3-4 hours, but i don't think they have started the courtship yet. i left the room for a few hours for privacy, but i don't wanna look in the tank until lights go out. 9:15 right now, gonna wait till 10 or 10:30 then shut the lights off. is it possible they might breed overnight? or much more likely during day?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
awesome news man, you finally got those breeding reds you've always wanted, awww, just in time for christmas, lol. can't wait for the pictures, congratulations my friend

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
hopefully these pics are better...

hard to see, they def. bred though, the male is whipping around and encircling the area where the eggs are.

i'm pretty good now, i talked to DemDesBri on the phone and he took care of most of my concerns.

i am gonna put them in a 30g breeder to start. i have a sponge filter going. i'm considering putting a sponge wrapped around a weak, Aquaclear 20 (gallons), intake valve. i have the filter on there to begin with, just would have to wrap the intake valve with some sort of sponge. it's relatively a weak filter to begin with, so i think it would help with keeping it a little cleaner, without sucking the fry into.

thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
i'm pretty good as far as setup, gonna make bbs tonight.

what do you guys think about a weak aquaclear 20g hang on filter with a sponge over the intake? just for extra filtration. i did put two sponge filters in there, one rated for 40g tank, the other for 20g, earlier today. it's for a 30g tank.

oh ya...these sponge filters, will they eventually sink so that the base is on the floor of the aquarium, or do i need something to weigh em down?

i tossed in some bio-spira just to ease my mind, so things are lookin good, should vacuum em out tommorow sometime when i start seeing tails from inside the eggs.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts