Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Has anyone successfully kept "feeder sized" fish with P's for an extended period of time - say... a year or more?

OK, here's the deal: I recently got a 125 gal from Craigslist (thanks CL) for my fast growing reds. The guy that I got the tank from was using it as a community tank and gave me all of his stock (not worth much). Anyway, I decided to use some of the "lesser exotic" looking fish in the tank - just to test the P's aggressiveness.

Taking Hannibal's advice, I've reverted to only feeding "dead" foods (talapia and shimp) for over the past month or so and NOW it seems my P's have zero interest in eating the smaller "feeder sized" fish. They still haven't slaughtered the crayfish (almost 4 months now) and the 9" pleco remains unharmed.

IS IT POSSIBLE to have completely docile reds... such as a docile and loving pit bull (had one)?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
nope....id say not a chance....ive read lots how people have had fish in with they're reds for months, even a year or whatnot, one day you turn the light off, next you come down and its gone, and redbelly's sittin there laughin LOL...you can never really trust the reds to not eat other "community" fish....as for your crayfish, consider him lucky....and your pleco there has been reading people have successfully lived they're pleco with reds...no guarentee's tho

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
itstheiceman is correct. Any fish that you house with your red are at chance of being eaten one day. Some members have had limited success with housing different fish with their reds for a year or longer. However, in time they end up dissappearing from the tank.

I have only read that when reds (pygos in general) get very large, say 10"+, then they will show less interest in smaller fish (e.g. Tetras, Neons, etc...)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope....id say not a chance....ive read lots how people have had fish in with they're reds for months, even a year or whatnot, one day you turn the light off, next you come down and its gone, and redbelly's sittin there laughin LOL...you can never really trust the reds to not eat other "community" fish....as for your crayfish, consider him lucky....and your pleco there has been reading people have successfully lived they're pleco with reds...no guarentee's tho
I'm doing a good job of keeping something on their tummy (each get a bite size of talapia... twice a day). I'm amazed that it's been over 2 weeks and all 6 of the small fish remain unharmed... even swim in the P's faces along the current. I'm talking 1 and 2 inch fish here. I put the pleco in the first tank with them when they were wee-fry... and the crayfish was already in there (the P's were lucky to survive him early on, so now he's on borrowed time). I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow. I'm personally amazed each morning when I turn on the lights... I take inventory and everybody's alive and swimming.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
you getting good every day man!..keep it up

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
the reason why they are not eating them(for the moment), is because as you said that you are doing a good job of keeping something on their tummy..

i am feeding my Ps fish fillet,pellets and shrimps. But sometimes i put in a small live tilapia in there, they wont touch him until they are hungry and then...he's gone..

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that I shouldn't be expecting them to survive, but I can't help but to be amazed that they ARE still alive... considering that I used to feed live EVERYTHING to my P's - pinkies, bullfrog tadpoles, earthworms... everything EXCEPT feeder fish until I bit into Hannibal's advice about the talapia and shrimp.

Is it possible that because they've never eaten a live fish before, that they aren't aware they're edible? lol. Seriously, I was just curious if you could "train" them to be less aggressive... as in the way lions are tamed (Sigfreed and Roy excluded)... killer whales are trained... pit bulls become family dogs (does anyone recall that Petey on the Little Rascals was a pit bull?). If I can get these animals to all coexist, I am the MAN.
Predator and pray... all living as family - including the crayfish (as both predator and pray).

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
dont skip a feeding, or you WILL find them gone. i put 12 black skirt tetras
in with my 7 / only 1 surrvived and he swims with the pygos, but one day he
will be missing for sure!!!!!!!

never trust a red man

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.