Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im at the point that im deciding what kind of hiding places im going to add to my tank for my smaller RBP and the convict pair ill have in their.

im planning on making at least one cave in the tank, by placing a terra cotta potta under the sand and burying it.

im just wondering if anyone's piranhas ever actually use the caves you make for them?
my P didnt like the cave in his tank at all. so i took it out.

has anyone had some Ps that actually appreciate the hard work we put in???
jk

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
i never made caves. instead i stood my driftwood upright agains a wall.

·
Registered
333 Posts
rchan11 said:
View attachment 53751 One of the rhom that I used to have and a gold spilo hid in their caves all the time.
[snapback]943668[/snapback]​
hey rchan, ur p is swimming all cockeyed. mine old piranhas used to constantly shoal like that and my rhoms have done it and my piranhas now do it on occasion. do you know why they swim with their body turned a little on an angle?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Driftwood can usually be used to create some sort of shelter for your ps like hyphen said. People have also made caves out of PVC piping and covered it with silicone and gravel or whatnot.
Will your p use it? Depends entirely on him.

Playboydontcurr said:
rchan11 said:
View attachment 53751 One of the rhom that I used to have and a gold spilo hid in their caves all the time.
[snapback]943668[/snapback]​
hey rchan, ur p is swimming all cockeyed. mine old piranhas used to constantly shoal like that and my rhoms have done it and my piranhas now do it on occasion. do you know why they swim with their body turned a little on an angle?
[snapback]959695[/snapback]​
When you have to fart and your sitting dont ya lean to one side and "ahhhh" let er rip. Maybe that is what they are doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Puff said:
im at the point that im deciding what kind of hiding places im going to add to my tank for my smaller RBP and the convict pair ill have in their.

im planning on making at least one cave in the tank, by placing a terra cotta potta under the sand and burying it.

im just wondering if anyone's piranhas ever actually use the caves you make for them?
my P didnt like the cave in his tank at all. so i took it out.

has anyone had some Ps that actually appreciate the hard work we put in???
jk
[snapback]943667[/snapback]​
They definately love caves, especially the smaller size piranhas, which are skittish. The example I have was a baby Rhom. It liked the cave because it provide cover from the light....it felt very safe and it made it feed comfortably. It would dart out from the cave and feed on shrimp pellets, which sank to the bottom. This was in a bare bottom tank....believe it or not, the Rhom grew from about 2" to over 6" in about a year..

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The absence of caves is good because it makes them stay out in the open and be more active. Yorkshires tank with a rhom has no cover and his fish seems to be very active looking at his pictures.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I used a cave my brother had for his snake. One of the piranhas stayed in there until he out grew it. Then my pleco took it over, you can see him in the pics. After changing the gravel to black, I didn't put the cave back in cuz they on longer use it. One of then will hide in the green log and there are also 2 Rafael catfish in the log also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts