Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy 'gin folks.

I've gotta ask this question after reading a lot of the threads here, but before I do, realize that it isn't asked with the intention of insulting anyone, it's asked from the point of view of someone who's loved fishkeeping since 1976.

I like predator fish, I really do. My "friend" for 10 years was my African Lungfish named "Chomp". He grew to almost the length of the 55 long I kept him in alone because he absolutely would not tolerate tankmates. Unfortunately, I lost him after what the local water department called an "overflow event". These things NEVER happen until moments before you do a water change. By the way, a local pet stoer owner sued and won because he lost a lot of stock, including a huge Meridontotus tigrinis, but I digress...

I fed Chomp and my other predator fish (large Cichlids, Stingrays, Clown Knives, Snakeheads and so on) good food for their health. Fresh fish fillets, worms, pellets, squid and stuff like that. On occassion, or as the personality of the fish demanded, (Snakeheads esp.,) I would feed live stuff. Feeder fish, frogs, small Bluegills, Crayfish, you get the idea.

My question is: do many of you keep your Piranhas just for the purposes of watching them kill? IMHO, that's not cool at all. There isn't a single person here who doesn't realize that you will never, in the confines of the average home aquarium, be able to socialize them with other species, yet many continually try. Fish after fish is sacrificed to the desire for violence.

There is also no reason at all to ever feed a mouse to your Piranha. Let me be very specific here. There is no reason to feed a LIVE mouse to your fish. It's an unecessary cruelty and is just wrong. If you want to watch them eat a mouse, why not shake a dead one in the water to see if you can get them to take it?

These are beautiful, widely misunderstood fish which need to be properly represented or we may lose the availability of them, as is the current move with Snakeheads because some JERK released his intothe wild. Not only was this cruel to the fish, who up until that point had presumably enjoyed a comfortable home life, but it's also bad for the environment. Who knows what pathogens could've been released!? Now, it may result that I'll never be able to own one of these magnificent creatures again.

If some PETA nut grabs hold of this site, (no, I am ABSOLUTELY not gonna tell them, those guys are out there...) what's gonna be the result as far as the reputation of these fish, and the reaction of those who are already angry over the many exotics established along the "lower coast". There are lots of good reasons to own "Killer" fish, but for the sake of watching them kill is NOT one of them.

I was asked how this differs from feeding mice to snakes. (And, in fact, Lizards.) That depends on if you can get your fish to eat a dead mouse. My Lungfish would've if I'd ever offered him one. Heck, he'd eat anything that remotely smelled like food, and a few things that didn't. My Burmese and Ball pythons have been conditioned to take dead food. However, even when a snake eats a live mammal, the process of constriction would logically cause the animal to quickly blackout before it fully suffocates, and even if it didn't you cant subsitute very much for a large constrictors diet.

Piranhas, on the other hand, NEVER, EEEEEEEEEEEVER (sorry, Jericho fan here,) have to be fed mice. They can be fed suitably sided Goldfish, or other PISCATORIAL diet fare. My brother-in-law had them for years, and the largest Goldfish he ever offered them were the size which could be bitten in half with one bite. His fish were large and very healthy when he traded them to a shop.

I don't feel bad watching a P eat a fish, but I get no pleasure in watching a partially devoured prey animal struggle, despite knowing that it is so deep in shock that it is almost an impossibility that it feels anything. Maybe if you're a kid of 15 or something. For an adult to feel this way though, would be frightening.

Maybe find another outlet for those feelings. Uh, the gym? WWE? X-Men?

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Plec4Life,
Hi and welcome to the board. The way I got my first piranha was I was just looking for a fish cause at school I can only keep an aquarium. I saw a cute little silver guy that was about the size of a nickel. Within the next couple of weeks I found out that it was a piranha, pygocentrus nattereri to be exact. I fell in love with the little bastard and have had piranhas since. I don't raise piranha purely for the kill factor.

Joe

p.s. Dude your suggestions for different outlets for adults are just frighteningly immature; WWE, XMEN?!!!!!!

·
"The Video Pimp"
1,401 Posts
Lots of fun. At least he was civil about calling us all weirdoes for wanting a fish that we can watch kill living things. You know what that was one of the draws of getting the fish but they are also beautiful and vicious.

I like them because you can raise them from little babies to grown adults very quickly and have fun at the same time. They are a good way to spend extra time and show to your friends. People are always amazed to see the fish. And almost 90% of the people I have show mine to ask to see them eat.

It human nature to want to see the ferocity of wild animals up close we just happen to have them in a tank in captivity and its there nature to eat live animals may that be a fish of something that fell in the river. if there were enough of them they would eat a cow in the wild or any other mamal that happend to fall pray to them so what the differance.

And you know what the mice you get are bread for the purpose of being food just like cows and chickens. They are called feeder mice because that's what they are for. If we didn't buy them someone else would and feed it to something else. And as you have seen in the vids they only go through about 15 second of pain before they are dear. I for one know when my reds are big enough that I am going to try and feed them a mouse And big feeders. Right now mine eat feeders 3x as big as them very fast. So I see no problem with feeding anything to piranhas or other aggressive fish. If you see a problem with that then you must see a problem with a lot of other things that go on around the world.

anyway this was my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
At first I bought one for the novelty reason, but that wore off very fast. Now I keep them because I enjoy learning about them and find them quite interesting. I also think that many of them are some of the most attractive freshwater fish on earth (Piraya, Spilos, Cariba)

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Who are you to judge a 'right reason'? Is your reason supposed to be applied to everyone??? If I owned piranha to let them get big and fat, and cut them up and feed them to my dog, should this be considered a wrong reason?

Ill give you a hint. The answer is no.

I find the way in which you have judged the members of this board in this post nauseating. Believe it or not plec4, not everyone thinks like you. I think you make some valid points in your post but I do not think you have the right to tell any other fish owner how or why they should love/own a certain type of fish.

The original mouse video was made after a night of heavy drinking at college. I'll admit it, it was for shits and giggles. If this is what I would like to do with my fish, so be it, its none of your concern. If you like, you can coddle them and try to pet them and possibly put them by your bed so you can look over in the middle of the night and whisper sweet nothings in their ears yet this standard of behavior you set for yourself can not be applied to anyone except yourself.

My question is: do many of you keep your Piranhas just for the purposes of watching them kill?
I can only answer this for myself. Yes, among other reasons. I keep them cause I think they look cool, act cool, and kill things. Killing is not the only reason yet I would bet it factors into the decision of 95% of the users here.

Piranhas, on the other hand, NEVER, EEEEEEEEEEEVER (sorry, Jericho fan here,) have to be fed mice.
Who said anything about "have to be fed". People that do it, or have done it mainly do it to see a living animal get ripped to shreds. (lets not sugar coat it here) I dont think anyone here actually thinks there is nutritinal value in this food.

Maybe if you're a kid of 15 or something. For an adult to feel this way though, would be frightening. Maybe find another outlet for those feelings. Uh, the gym? WWE? X-Men?
Your condecending remarks are laughable.
If you want to make a point, and reach people with a message, next time try not ruining it all with a concluding statement only an condescending asshole would write.

-Xe

BTW, Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i think piranhas are great fish to watch and learn about people say havin a tank is relaxing
which i think applies more with my 4 rbs the way they school together as if they need each other and the way they attack their prey from every angle in quick time

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
god damn Xeon, haha
I agree with half of what you said.
But me? I want them becuase i want to study them and enjoy them as fish. I dont care the fact that they eat other fish, its just some thing they do. oh well. I am take care of them and be a good fish onwer.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
bobme said:
god damn Xeon, haha
But me? I want them becuase i want to study them and enjoy them as fish. I dont care the fact that they eat other fish, its just some thing they do. oh well. I am take care of them and be a good fish onwer.
I never said the sole reason people own them is to kill. I said its part of it. And I also said I am sure the majority of the users here thought about the fact that piranhas are predatory when deciding which type of fish to initially stock their freshwater with.

I think if you deny the fact their predatory (and being predatory == cool) and this had no bearing on your initial decision to buy the fish, you are lying. Piranhas have had a stigma attached to them for years and whenever you hear the word you cant help but think.....

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
i personally like the way they hunt down there prey .i see no difference in feeding goldfish,frogs or any fish in general to another fish or animal..it all the same..

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Xenon said:
bobme said:
god damn Xeon, haha
I never said the sole reason people own them is to kill. I said its part of it. And I also said I am sure the majority of the users here thought about the fact that piranhas are predatory when deciding which type of fish to initially stock their freshwater with.

I think if you deny the fact their predatory (and being predatory == cool) and this had no bearing on your initial decision to buy the fish, you are lying. Piranhas have had a stigma attached to them for years and whenever you hear the word you cant help but think.....
I wasnt bashing what you said, and of corse they are killer fish.
all i ment was, you lashed out on the newbi!

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
the problem with this is his subject:

Do you own your Fish for the right reason?

Can I go look in an encyclopedia and find the right reason? That is horse sh*t, people own piranhas for their own reasons, there is no right one. I personally would never feed a live mouse to my piranha or future piranhas, but thats just me, I enjoyed the videos, keep em coming. As long as your not endangering the well being of your piranhas, I think what you do with them is your own objective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who are you to judge a 'right reason'? Is your reason supposed to be applied to everyone???

----Yes. If you want to keep people from interfering with the great priviledge of owning whatever tropical fish you desire.

If I owned piranha to let them get big and fat, and cut them up and feed them to my dog, should this be considered a wrong reason?

Ill give you a hint. The answer is no.

----That's too hard a hint, please give me another.

I find the way in which you have judged the members of this board in this post nauseating.

----I know, I could tell by your response in that other thread. You didn't think I missed that, did you?

Believe it or not plec4, not everyone thinks like you.

----Good! If everyone thought alike, then everybody else would be unecessary, and there'd be nobody to clean toilets! ('Cause I sure ain't!)

I think you make some valid points in your post but I do not think you have the right to tell any other fish owner how or why they should love/own a certain type of fish.

----Why not? I didn't call anyone in particular anything derogative. My issue was the REASON, not the person, in case you hadn't noticed.

The original mouse video was made after a night of heavy drinking at college.

----First clue that it might not have been the best of ideas.

I'll admit it, it was for shits and giggles. If this is what I would like to do with my fish, so be it, its none of your concern. If you like, you can coddle them and try to pet them and possibly put them by your bed so you can look over in the middle of the night and whisper sweet nothings in their ears

----Dude, that's gross.

yet this standard of behavior you set for yourself can not be applied to anyone except yourself.

My question is: do many of you keep your Piranhas just for the purposes of watching them kill?
I can only answer this for myself. Yes, among other reasons. I keep them cause I think they look cool, act cool, and kill things. Killing is not the only reason yet I would bet it factors into the decision of 95% of the users here.

----At what point did I say that it didn't?

Piranhas, on the other hand, NEVER, EEEEEEEEEEEVER (sorry, Jericho fan here,) have to be fed mice.
Who said anything about "have to be fed". People that do it, or have done it mainly do it to see a living animal get ripped to shreds. (lets not sugar coat it here) I dont think anyone here actually thinks there is nutritinal value in this food.

----So you're polluting you're fish by giving it something bad for it? There actually is nutritional value in the mouse, and the fact that you don't think so makes it seem like you don't give a darn about your fish.

Maybe if you're a kid of 15 or something. For an adult to feel this way though, would be frightening. Maybe find another outlet for those feelings. Uh, the gym? WWE? X-Men?

----How do YOU define "condecending"?

If you want to make a point, and reach people with a message, next time try not ruining it all with a concluding statement only an condescending asshole would write.

----Perhaps you should learn to read with objectivity. You just totally insulted me by comparing my behavior to a "condescending" -------, (by the way, which spelling are you going to stick with, this could get confusing...)but at no point did I call names. I downed the reasoning, but didn't call names.

-Xe

----Genin, for your information, at one point I had a huge collection of X-Men. I sold them years ago, but I did go see the movie, and I thought it rocked. I will also be going to see part two. I'm excited about seeing Lady Deathstrike. Mostly 'cause it's Kelly Hu.

----Tell me X, what made you think that I was being "condecending"? It's the same advice I got when I was younger and displacing my anger and energies into unproductive venues. I don't hate you, I was just making a point. Geez.

BTW, Welcome to the site.

----Thank you very much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way, did EVERYBODY miss the fact that I owned predators too? I ain't livin' in no glass house.

Sir Nathan XXI seems to be getting the most out of his fish. They are incredible creatures. That's my whole point. They aren't toys.

EVERYBODY PLEASE NOTICE THAT I DIDN'T POINT OUT ANYBODY AS BEING NEGATIVE.

WHEN I SAID HE'S GETTING THE MOST OUT OF HIS FISH, THAT WAS NOT TO SAY THAT NOBODY ELSE IS!

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
I guess you have to expect people to like things for different reasons. To ask why is ok, but to tell them that the reason they have is wrong..... IS WRONG! By claiming what is right and what is wrong about a preference someone has, no matter if they think you like them or not, has no effect on anyone's choice to own piranha's or any other killer animal. And you will make no difference by having said anything about it. :smile:

so basically, you are frustrated with all these, immature, pred fish owners who kill animals by feeding their fish, and probably hope you will change thier minds by bringing this up. The people who are responding to you DO keep thier piranhas for the RIGHT reason. THIER OWN.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Out of your long and eloquently written reply I have found only shards of statements worth responding to. Nothing in here (except maybe one convoluted statement) address my question of

"What right do you have to tell other fish owners the 'right' reason to own them??

Yes. If you want to keep people from interfering with the great priviledge of owning whatever tropical fish you desire.
Do you really think that this little site, with our 5 little videos really has the power to sway a state legislature to repeal exotic fish laws?!?! If anything I feel the risk of our site effecting state fish laws is extremely low if not non-existant.

I think you make some valid points in your post but I do not think you have the right to tell any other fish owner how or why they should love/own a certain type of fish.

----Why not? I didn't call anyone in particular anything derogative. My issue was the REASON, not the person, in case you hadn't noticed.
Hmmmm, it doesnt address the person? Then why did you tell us to "find another outlet for those feelings" Obviously your talking about the owner of the fish and implying that the behavior of feeding a live mouse reflects badly upon the owner. Your topic title itself says "Do YOU own your fish for the right reason?" Now your telling me this doesnt address the owner??!?!

The original mouse video was made after a night of heavy drinking at college.

----First clue that it might not have been the best of ideas.
I think it was a great idea. Made a cool ass video that tons of people on the net enjoy. Once again we come back to my original comment that you fail to address.....What right do you have to say it was a bad idea? The fish are alive and well. I do not own them anymore yet the owner feeds them 2 mice on a weekly basis as part of their diet. They are alive and kicking and pushing 8 inches.....

----So you're polluting you're fish by giving it something bad for it? There actually is nutritional value in the mouse, and the fact that you don't think so makes it seem like you don't give a darn about your fish.
It hasnt hurt the fish in the mouse video, they are growing at a normal rate. The nutritional value of the food is debatable....it is meat, yes I know, yet there are A LOT more things higher on the list that are better for the fish.....this is what I meant.

----How do YOU define "condecending"?
con·de·scend ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knd-snd)
intr.v. con·de·scend·ed, con·de·scend·ing, con·de·scends
To descend to the level of one considered inferior; lower oneself. See Synonyms at stoop1.
To deal with people in a patronizingly superior manner.

Or I would recommend reading your original post. The gist of that post == condescending.

----Perhaps you should learn to read with objectivity. You just totally insulted me by comparing my behavior to a "condescending" -------, (by the way, which spelling are you going to stick with, this could get confusing...)but at no point did I call names. I downed the reasoning, but didn't call names.
Go ahead and insult my spelling. All that proves is that you are desperatly trying to devalue my post because you cant find an answer to my original question:

"What right do you have to tell other fish owners the 'right' reason to own them??

Once you answer this question, I will shut up, but in your winded reply to my post you did not address this question. Are you a lawmaker, are you a part of some secret consortium that makes standards for 'proper' reasons to own piranha? Just answer the above question....no need to skirt the subject any longer.

----Tell me X, what made you think that I was being "condecending"? It's the same advice I got when I was younger and displacing my anger and energies into unproductive venues. I don't hate you, I was just making a point. Geez.
The gist of your original post was condescending. In case you didnt realize this already, it seriously pisses me off. The gist of your post that I recieved was the 'message' was condescending.

If you had phrased your original post in a different manner I would not be taking my time to jump down your throat. This is actually probably the first time Ive jumped down anyones throat on this board. You could have had a debate on feeding live mice with an emphasis on its effects on the laws, the fish, etc, yet you decided to attack the owner by asking......

Do you own your Fish for the right reason?
Therefore you are attacking me.

-Xe

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
traumatic said:
so basically, you are frustrated with all these, immature, pred fish owners who kill animals by feeding their fish, and probably hope you will change thier minds by bringing this up. The people who are responding to you DO keep thier piranhas for the RIGHT reason. THIER OWN.
Oh Traumatic...you have done a better job than me in explaining the point.

I agree completely..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.