Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HD DVD.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a little poll on the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD situation to see who out there has what and owns what. I think we're a pretty diverse group here on PFury and have people here pretty inclined to know about this stuff.

I will also admit that self-interest has motivated me to do this poll. Through my work we have the opportunity to buy the new Toshiba HD DVD player for $299.99 CDN. That's about $260 American. And we also get three HD DVD movies with it for free... I think it's a good deal. But I don't want to start buying movies and then have them be obsolete, ya know? It's still not chump change for me. I work hard for my money and like to make sure it's well spent.

I also want to see what influence the two different gaming systems will have on people's choices, because I think it could be the difference.

·
My Rhom could kick your Rhom's ass!
4,697 Posts
im definetly waiting on this one to see who wins.... i have close to 150 regular dvds that i think look GREAT on my current tv--- progressive scan works for me.... for now, there is going to be alot of money wasted by some people depending on which one faulters if not both---- i mean there are hardly that many people who have hd setups.... let alone 1080p--- i saw blu ray in the store the other day for the first time and altho it did look very nice--- it wasnt like "WOW, I HAVE TO HAVE THIS NOW"! i figure on getting setup in 1-2 years...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
First, get a dvd upconverter for now. Second, Bluray is the future, but wait-the PS3 is $500? It has built in bluray which costs a grand for a stand-alone bluray player. Prices will come down to about 200-300 very soon for bluray.

·
My Rhom could kick your Rhom's ass!
4,697 Posts
please define "Very soon".....and ps4 will be out in 2010---- I hate technology!..... well kinda...

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they say 2010 for the PS4 expect it in 2011 or 2012 if this year was any indicator.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
I don't own either a Blu-ray or HD-DVD. But from what I have been reading, Blu-ray holds more storage and is supposed to have a better picture. Problem is HD-DVD are easy to manufacture right now so most factories would not have to change much to produce HD-DVDs. Also, HD-DVD players will play regular DVDs, which gives them a benefit of Blu-Ray. I'm not sure how that will benefit HD-dvd that much, cause look back and everyone had to switch from VHS to DVD, no backwards compability there. I still know Blu-Ray is better and the PS3 will help sales of the Blu-Ray and also lower the prices of a Blu-Ray player but I'm still not sure how much will help.

So my choice is wait out and see.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
The Blu-ray in the PS3 worries me because the PS3 is so cheap compared to Blu-ray players... It just doesn't make sense, ya know? So we'll see how that works out long term.
Well remember Mettle, DVD players were expensive as hell when PS2's first came out. They actually helped lower the price of DVD players and also helped get DVD players into US Homes. I believe the only thing Blu-ray has right now is storage capacity which some people think 10 gbs is enough, but remember even Bill Gates was quoted something like "284 kbs will be enough for anyone".

But the problem with comparing the PS3 (blu-ray) to the PS2 (dvd) is that there really wasn't any direct competition with DVDs other than outdated VHS technology and maybe laser discs?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
what the hell is up with the blu ray? is there something special too it or is it just stupid and expansive? i dont understand the difference, but i own HD.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what the hell is up with the blu ray? is there something special too it or is it just stupid and expansive? i dont understand the difference, but i own HD.
It's 1080P and holds 50GB per disc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts