Piranhas Forum banner

Would or have you ever feed your P's live mice?

• I do it all the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would never feed mice to P's because it cruel

• Maybe someday

• Sometimes I do

• Does it really matter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· 2012 Is the year the World ENDS!!!&#33
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came to mind. Been reading some post were peeps find it curel to feed mice to P's. I myself have yet to feed mice to my P's but I will someday. I find the idea of feeding mice to P's just the same as feeding live feeders to P's. I dont think it's wrong because it's just food for P's. What do you guys think? If you think it's cruel, then why?

3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point.... But do you find the idea cruel? And if so why?

3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it not the same for live feeders (guppies, gold fish)? Both types of animals are alive when put into the tank. Both feel and both die. I think it's the same regardless if it's a warm blood or cold blood. P's in the wild feed on both. Anyways that what I think.....

3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never said fish are warm blooded... But a fish is alive, so it must feel some pain. Ever animal that is alive runs, flys, or swims away if it thinks it's in danger in order to save it self. Maybe I am wrong and if so please correct me. I just think that a mice and fish are no different.

3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not owned P's for long, but I do feel that giving live feeders to P's is the best way of experiencing there natural environment.

· Registered
189 Posts
I don't think it's cruel, feeder mice are bred for it, if you don't buy it for your p, the next guy will be buyin it for his lizard or snake, mice are a mess to clean up after, but it's a different show from feeder fish. I generally feed pellets weekly with some sort of live treat about 3-4 times a year.

3,843 Posts
I feed my reds alittle mouse along time ago, I want to do it again, but I can't. I was going to pick up one yesterday while at the pet store, but like I said I could not. Mice sometimes drown, which makes some people sick. Feeding snakes and other animals mice is alittle different, as you can't feed snakes pellets or fresh shrimp. I've changed my stance on doing the feeder mice with P's..

Call me a p*ssy.

...I did buy some feeder fish though.

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
rchan11 said:
I do find it cruel to see a warm blooded animal suffer.
[snapback]869746[/snapback]​
Why not the cold blooded animals? There are some cool ones out there.

BTW if I do feed a mouse its only a pinky. Dont want the mess.

· Registered
3,063 Posts
still wating for some of my p's to get a little bigger but when they do...

any way as for the cruel part, in times of massive stress or trauma, the nervous system actually in a way truns off pain recptors, so there is a good chance that a mouse beeing ripped apart wont feel a whole lot

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Ive fed my shoal pinkys and good size mice. To honestly tell you, its something to experience, but nothing you should do regularly. Alot of maintanence should be considered after a mouse feeding (IMO). My Ps usually digest the food faster accumilating waste, as well as having fur float around in the tank

· Registered
605 Posts
i put my teeth through my knee and it didnt hurt, i hit a rock snowboarding at like 25-30 mph, and did not feel pain(haha, i didnt feel anything, especially no air in my lungs) so yeah, the guy who talked about times of great stress causing pain receptors to be blocked is correct(there is also lots of documentation). Personally, i don't feel its neccessarly, or very humane to feed live mice to piranha. To the notion it is natural, that is very un-true. If you look at a piranha in the wild, very few ever taste a mouse or other live mammal. I have been reading a lot about piranha lately, they are better scavangers than hunters, and when they do hunt, its fish. If these animals just waited for mice to fall in the water, there wouldnt be very many in existance. Secondly, i would rather feed a fillet of fish, which in the wild makes up more of their diet and is lacking fur, organs, etc. and is soley meat(and occassionaly scales). I do however, seeing myself feeding a dead mouse or other animal to them, because i don't have to watch it suffer. Anyway, thats my two cents.

· Registered
153 Posts
I think it is cruel cold or warm blooded.But thats the natural events , food chain , in the wild that is,the strong eats the weak and its like that for ALL animals even us.
In a home tank its not the same YOU choose your pets food.
Even if your against live food you cant save all the rats and mices!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.