Piranhas Forum banner

do ur p's feed from the bottom, middle, or top?

661 views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  Sam 
#1 ·
i got my p's used to feeding from the top as i feed them hikari carnivorous pellets that float so they eventually got used to eating from the top.....

#3 ·
My guys have always eaten from the bottom. When I put food in the standoff begins. They all gather around the food and start fighting, then eventually one of them will go for it and it's on but sometimes it takes an hour or more before they start.

I read stories all the time about P's that snatch food as soon as it hits the water and wonder WTF is up with my guys. All fish are different, and thats just the way mine are I guess

I have even starved them for short periods of time, but it makes NO difference

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
mine would take a while to eat from the top at first... but ive discovered that the less you put in at one time... the more they come to the top and are more aggressive. say i was feeding some krill or something that floats - i will drop one or two pieces at a time and wont put in more until they eat it. its made my p's way more aggressive in the past few weeks using this technique. now they dont hesitate to pounce on anything edible that hits the water instantly

#6 ·
My pygos used to be strictly bottom feeders, until the day I was too lazy to 'pop' the smelt.
Now whenever I feed smelt, I don't pop them so they float. It's wicked seeing them go to the top to snatch their food. They're not shy about it at all anymore.

I fill my tank up pretty high though...so sometimes they hit the glass top pretty hard.

#10 ·
Mine Feed at the Top of the water , as soon as the food hits the water they are waiting and hit the food really hard .. I especially like watching them top water feed on Hikari Pellets , Gives me a chance to see Their whole body .

#19 ·
Mine feeds either in the middle before it hits the bottom or at the bottom. I don't feed much that floats - aside from the earth worm flake. But I toss that into the stream created by the filter so it goes nuts and gets blown all over so my lil' guy has something to chase after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.