Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering because I have a power head in my tank but I was wondering if it does anything for them besides make a current. Probably a stupid question but I would really like to know thanx for the help.

· These colours don't run !
4,746 Posts
it can be used for undergravel filtering but they love the current

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya I know but I dont have mine set up for that I am just useing it for current. I would like to know what the current does for them besides makem happy.LIke does it make them grow faster or have better color?????????

· These colours don't run !
4,746 Posts
lwrlevel said:
IMO it promotes growth.. as the piranha will get more exercise and want to eat more!!
[snapback]857252[/snapback]​
what he says

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Speedy said:
You should read the post on growing large Rhoms....The more current that better.
[snapback]857868[/snapback]​
For piranha species that live in area's with fast-flowing rivers (Rhoms, Elongs, Manueli's), that is true indeed.
For species that live in area's where the water flow is much lower (ponds, lakes, wetlands), like Redbellies, a powerhead is not needed, and often not even noticed by the fish (as my Reds do: they don't give a hoot about the powerhead I bought them...
) It certainly won't kill them, but there's no need to overexagerate (sp?) their importance...

· Oh, SNAP!
3,669 Posts
I'd say it's beneficial, the Ps can "work out" in it and also the current recreates their natural enviroment more accurately.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Whether or not your p's are of a type that needs the current, PH's are a good way to increase the amount of surface to air contact that your water gets.
As for the current, however, I'm thinking about taking my powerhead out of my pygo tank because it seems as if it is too powerful and my p's don't ever seem to go up near the top of the water.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
RBP dude said:
my p's dont swim up to the powerhead and dont ever seem to swim into the current. oh well it cant hurt tghem so I will leave it in.:nod:

[snapback]862279[/snapback]​
That's why I still have a powerhead in my Redbelly tank - even though they don't swim in the current that often, a bit of current never hurts.
And it would take a HUGE powerhead to stress out mature reds...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.