Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ever playing or is it aways fighting??? you know how animals all play fight. some of my P's bump into each other no bites just little bumps. they look like they are playing....are they? or is it a mini fight?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
is it ever playing or is it aways fighting??? you know how animals all play fight. some of my P's bump into each other no bites just little bumps. they look like they are playing....are they? or is it a mini fight?
i dont know man, thats a good question....i got to think they play, because ive seen my biggest caribe and red go at it, where they had ahold of eachothers mouth but no marks were left, and one of my caribe grabbed the other caribe's tail had a firm grip on it but when he let go no marks....id say there would be some play fighting....but iguess we;ll never know

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know man, thats a good question....i got to think they play, because ive seen my biggest caribe and red go at it, where they had ahold of eachothers mouth but no marks were left, and one of my caribe grabbed the other caribe's tail had a firm grip on it but when he let go no marks....id say there would be some play fighting....but iguess we;ll never know
[/quote]

lol just keep hoping for no marks at the end.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i would say they are playing mine do that all the time but if it looks like it might get out of control i just go over to the tank and they stop never gets out of control i only ever had one fin nip and it was during feeding so they should be fine

·
Registered
652 Posts
ya mine do that all the time too i think they are just playing around like tag your it lol but no mark are ever left and if it looks like it one is going to get hurt i just go over to the tank and tap on it as say WTF are you guys doing lol they stop so i fugure its no big deal and they are just messin around.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
uh......IDK if I would call any of the above "playing" I would call it LUCK!!!

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I know my reds used to do what I would consider play around... they would form a line and swim in patterns around the tank one right behind each other.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know my reds used to do what I would consider play around... they would form a line and swim in patterns around the tank one right behind each other.
lol mine are doing that now, they are in a line go from one side to the other but at each end the go up and do this weird flip thing.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
I have seen them play in powerheads b4, but never play fight.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I think it's constant checking within the pecking order.

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
sure they play chase, aND sometime who ever loses dies

·
Registered
775 Posts
sure they play chase, aND sometime who ever loses dies :laugh:
[/quote]

WORD

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don't think Piranhas play, everything they do has a purpose so all that bumping you are noticing in your tank is Piranhas stablishing hierchy.

Maybe you should post this question in the opefe forum.

Hater

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I wouldn't call it playing or fighting. It's more of a "Hey, respect my space!" kind of behavior. That is how I would perceive it to be anyway.
~Taylor~

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
I wouldn't call it playing or fighting. It's more of a "Hey, respect my space!" kind of behavior. That is how I would perceive it to be anyway.
~Taylor~
Exactly. Their primitive brains are incapapable of "play", wich would be fun, wich would indicate a higher intelligence. Piranhas and all fish, IMO, are strictly buisiness. Some of the big South and Central American cichlids (seemingly) come as close to that concept as can get, but I still think even they have a means to their sometimes amusing antics.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
yea they play hahaha....with a mouth full of fins or scales of the one they are "playing" with, if thats what u wanna call it lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Speaking of "Playing," the weirdest thing happened this morning. I bought some aponogeton bulbs yesterday and threw them in there last night and when I woke up this morning and turned on the tank lights, my piranhas were playing Tag football with this thing lol. Im not lieing... Literally, my biggest P went and grabbed it and started running with it for like 3 minutes and all the others were trying to tag him and when they did he dropped the ball! LMAO I sat on my bed and just laughed histerically. that was some funny sh*t.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Speaking of "Playing," the weirdest thing happened this morning. I bought some aponogeton bulbs yesterday and threw them in there last night and when I woke up this morning and turned on the tank lights, my piranhas were playing Tag football with this thing lol. Im not lieing... Literally, my biggest P went and grabbed it and started running with it for like 3 minutes and all the others were trying to tag him and when they did he dropped the ball! LMAO I sat on my bed and just laughed histerically. that was some funny sh*t.
all i know is that my P sometimes acts like my dogs. they play, they chase each other, they bump, tag, whatever. Is it playing idk are they making an order of whose in charge idk. all i know is im lucky that is just bumping no biting and that its funny as hell to watch. just wanted ur perspective on this topic because at times i would swear they know what they are doing and it looks like they are having fun lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts