Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was just wondering if piranhas sometimes float sideways even though they look healthy. I have been having some water problems and the fish seem okay but today I did a 85% water change due to ammonia and now one of them seems to be floating lopsided when he is not swimming. If he does not stop should I add some meds to the tank to stop it from progressing into something worse? I only use Furan-2 or pimafix/melafix.

Thanks

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
No, piranhas do not play dead.
Nor do they float on their sides when they're healthy.

(I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here by assuming you're serious.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
one time when i did a major clean to my big tank I throw my 6 reds in a 10 gallon for about an hour
and one was doing the exact same thing thought he was dead. but after they all went back he was back to
normal so i guess it probaly was stress related. i don't know your tank size of if it's overcrowed but
but if it is that could be why

·
Registered
655 Posts
when i first got my piranha when i added them to the tank all of them laid on their sides on the bottom for about an hour and then they started swimming around so yes very much stress related

·
Registered
78 Posts
yeah ive seen them play dead before.....definetly stress but it should stop once they are back in the tank...r u water params ok?? has the tank been cycling for over a month??...cuz if it hasnt been running for long u could of had a ammonia spike and that could cause ur p to be stress and or sick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts