Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering i mean i go pretty often but never spend that much unless im starting a new tank other than that its feeders here or there shrimp u know nothing major i always wondered especially with the setups they have as far as tanks and rare fish that seem to sit in there 4 ever do they make money or break even or are in red figures i always wanted to have 1 of my own and just curious is it profitable my 1st thought was no

·
"The Video Pimp"
1,401 Posts
well yes, obviosly because they are still around. the markup on some things are crazy. most fish equipment would be %50 more than what they pay. same with fish. also livestock like dogs and stuff like that is like %200 more than what they pay. they make money not sure if it truckloads but they make a good amount of money.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
put it this way - about 30% of all my money goes to my LFS - I'm sure it is the same for other people here - some may be worse!!!

·
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Croz said:
well yes, obviosly because they are still around. the markup on some things are crazy. most fish equipment would be %50 more than what they pay. same with fish. also livestock like dogs and stuff like that is like %200 more than what they pay. they make money not sure if it truckloads but they make a good amount of money.
im talking just fish no dogs or cats but do u guys see what im saying i mean when we go we dont spend that much not like going grocery shopping what 30$ every 2 weeks im just curious thats all i might be wanting to have 1

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I spend more at my LFS than my local food shop

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
My buddy owns a fish store (also carries reptiles and small animals), he's already told me that, on a good day he can profit up to $3000! How's that for a profit?

·
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Serrapygo said:
My buddy owns a fish store (also carries reptiles and small animals), he's already told me that, on a good day he can profit up to $3000! How's that for a profit?
are u fuckin serious!!!! damn i dont know its just that when i see people in there they spend alittle here alittle there never that 300$ sell unless like i said ur starting a tank

·
"The Video Pimp"
1,401 Posts
but think if you have the best fish and or service in down and you can undercut most other places than you have it made because people will come to you first. its a good busineess if there is a market. only thing is there is a lot of overhead.

·
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Croz said:
but think if you have the best fish and or service in down and you can undercut most other places than you have it made because people will come to you first. its a good busineess if there is a market. only thing is there is a lot of overhead.
ok by overhead u mean what? extras? im still in research phase but im pretty sure i can get the money to start one and really want to be a good lfs owner if i decide to go this route or not imagine this ur driving around san jose,ca and u see a bright neon sing " the toffee's pet lair" kinda catchy huh? lol

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
thoroughbred said:
Serrapygo said:
are u fuckin serious!!!! damn i dont know its just that when i see people in there they spend alittle here alittle there never that 300$ sell unless like i said ur starting a tank
I missed the part where you siad a "fish only" store. So, no, not all those profits come from just selling fish. Most comes from equipment and he also sells alot of doggies. But, his fish move out the door fast.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Double posted for the first time in my life.

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
there are many repeart customers and some tahat just have way to many animals
i was at the store and this one guy bought 25 feeder mice,100 rosey reds,some seeds and other canned food.and i talked to one of the guys that work there and the said he there every week.
with customers loke that they will never go under

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
lfs makes a lot of money once you get people coming. I think you need more than just selling fish to make a lot unless you have a very good rep. I think lfs charge at least 100x more than what they bought it for.

·
Soft Machine
1,687 Posts
I guy at petland told me one of there other locations in town can clear $800 in a day that's fish, and aquatic sh*t only, don;t ask me how

·
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
o snap its eric said:
lfs makes a lot of money once you get people coming. I think you need more than just selling fish to make a lot unless you have a very good rep. I think lfs charge at least 100x more than what they bought it for.
damn really? like for ex. neon tetra at lfs cost like 2.99 for a pair or sumthin like that theyre getting them at cents?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Not sure if it's true or not, but a guy I always talk to at my lfs says they have a 500% markup on tanks and 200-300% markup on equipment.

Might just be that store and all others are dif, or might not even be true, but that's what he told me.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
your best bet would be tell sell as much stuff as possible as the more people you can attract the more your sales will improve. impulse buying!! is what happens at lfs all the time. my lfs told me that fish do not move as quickly in the summer that the fall is the $$$$ money time. so there for the more variety you have dogs, cats, birds etc. and of course filters and fish supply's the better.

but if i were you i would practice on making a small 10gal tank. because if you lease a store you could always build your own tanks, to save truck loads of cash.........

GOOD LUCK but do not call it toffee pimps fish gallery
j/k

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
Serrapygo said:
Double posted for the first time in my life.
thats all it takes he he he now you are hooked

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.