Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I like having a cover for 3 reasons.
1- the water evaporates much quicker without a cover
2- My p's do slam against the cover when chasing prey and I dont want one landing on the ground.
3- My cat likes to sit on top of the tank and attack my fish. and they like to attack her thru the glass. I would not want to see what would happen if the glass was not there.

You can use a cover or not, I could not care less, these are the reasons I use one.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
piranha sometimes get scaried and scurry away quicky.they might jump out.always keep closed or else your going to find a dry p on your floor

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
heard of them jumping out!!! i had 3 reds in a 40gal temperarely and wile i was out... i guess my cat scared it and i came home and it was dry on the flor. im glad it didnt bite my cat or my st bernard.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I would go for a cover, fish can jump!
I even once found one on the floor, when I had a cover.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Definately use a cover! I would make my own out of .25 inch Plexiglass. Then you can hinge the access door(s) on it too. I use a type of turn latch on mine that keeps them from popping it open. My P's don't bounce off the lid much but I made this when I had a 18" Pacu that like to see what was going on outside the tank.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
yeah im with them you need some kind of cover anything donst have to be fancy but you need something plus if you drop a feeder in it may just crawl out the top of teh tank ... anyways go get that covered

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You definately need a cover. They will jump out occasionly. Better to have all you fish instead of a few dried up ones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
have you seen the piranhas in the wild they can jump over 3 feet!!!
get a hood with tight or heavy fittings
because ive got a shark i must have a lid were thinking about padlocks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agreed! They may not intentionally jump out (some do), but if they get spooked then they could. Mine got spooked once and hit the lid, I was glad I had it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts