Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi again,

LAST few questions for me, and then I'm good to go

The first has to do with my cycling the tank. I purchased 1 bottle of Big Als Water Treatment (de-chlorine), and a bottle of STRESS ZYME. I wanted to do a fishless cycle.

I read the Water Treatment, and it advised me to add 2 teaspoons to every 10Gal of water. I did this fine. I then thought the same was said for the EZYME STRESS formula, so I added 2 teaspoons for every 10Gal.

However, I re-read the bottle, and it said for a new tank, add 1 teaspoon on the 1st, 7th, and 14th day??

So far, I have my filter and heater running, and the above treatments added. I checked my water parameters, but of course, nothing is detected because I don't have any fish in it.

Am I okay leaving it like this? Did I add too much EZYME STRESS? How do I know if my water parameters are going to be fine for the Piranha's without actually ever having ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

Thanks in advance. I did read all 31 pages in the Equipment forum

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
You need to add ammonia, whether that is fish waste or pure ammonia from the store is up to you. Depending on the size of the tank, I would add about 10 feeders per 40 gallons to start the cycle. I dont think any product will help you cycle the tank except biospira. With this produce (from what I have been told by many hobbiest) you dont need to cycle the tank at all, just follow the directions and you can add your fish.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi grosse gurke,

I thought the STRESS ZYME did just that; built up the bacteria in the tank.

Does anyone know if I still need to add ammonia if I use this stuff?

The bottle suggested that each spoonfull of it adds over 100 million live bacteria to the tank.

Thanks

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
etalon9100 said:
Does anyone know if I still need to add ammonia if I use this stuff?
Yes, nitrifiers need a food source in order to survive. It doesn't matter if it's pure ammonia from the drug store, feeder fish, or rotting food...

I have never used Stress-zyme (never had the need to) but there have been many independent tests done to show that most of these "bacteria in a bottle" products simply do not work. Just use some filter material or gravel from another established tank to seed your new one and provide it with a food source and you are on your way to fully cycling your tank in a month.

Good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I can just add the required "straight" ammonia to the tank, and the cycle should continue?

Strange, the guy at Big Al's told me the Stress Zyme and Big Al's Water Treatment was all I needed to cycle the tank??

Thanks again for your input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts