Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
i was wondering how hard it would be to build the DIY wet/dry filter and about how much it would cost me? I dont have too much skill in constructing stuff, so if this is too advanced please let me know. im also considering building a glass 120g tank and maybe stand as well but thats more of a long term project. so Sirnathan if you have any personal advice since i will be using your directions please post them for me and any other member who may be trying to build a wet/dry.

thanks!

Oburi

·
Registered
384 Posts
dude, I built a 150 glass DIY tank, it's not all that tough, you just need a bit of patience, I don't know of anyone else who's done a DIY glass tank that's big on this site, so if you have questions, pm me. I talked to Sir Nate about it for the frame etc. but if you have specific questions, I"m looking at mine right now, and she's still holding water just great, so I'd be a guy to ask. the only advice is just to not make it all that tall, because that's the only factor in glass thickness. Mine is 24 inches tall, and I used 3/8 inch glass, so the "recommended thickness" isn't the end all be all. It's a heck of a lot more expensive to increase glass thickness instead of just making the tank longer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Also, if you're looking to do a wet dry, use acrylic, it's a ton easier to drill than glass. and it'll be a good building block to give yourself some confidence to build your big boy tank. Just have confidence in yourself and a bit of motivation, and it's a done deal. good luck!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot scrapedogg
. I am thinking of going with a 120g. I will DEFINATELY pm you if i have any q's since you have first hand experience. Thanks for answering my questions. i do have a couple more though if you dont mind...I was wondering what are sumps? I know they have to do with the wet/dry but i read on nates instructions to use multiple one tanks over 90g. And my other q is how much did you end up spending on your tank when you built it yourself? did u build a stand too??

thanks again.

Oburi

·
Registered
539 Posts
i got a quote from a local shop for a 6ftx16inch 1/4" thick piece for $41 a piece. And 6'x2' 1/4" thick for $75 a piece. Would this be thick enough for a 120g long? what would the gallons equal out to with this:
6'x16"x1/4 inch thick x2
2'x16"x1/4 inch thick x2

or

6'x2'x1/4" thick x2
2'x16"x1/4" thick x2

thanks.

Oburi

·
Registered
711 Posts
at that kind of price for glass i think you should keep an eye out for used tanks and forget about making one. i got my 125 gal for $120 from a breeder that was moving. it seems that for the cost of materials, the time and effort it takes to build and the possiblity of 120 gallons of water spilling out onto your floor, buying a used tank isnt a bad deal. but i am pretty lazy...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.