Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Actually yes I need some help/wondering something. I seen on predatory fish were someone had made what seems to be a drawer type wet/dry filter with drawers for each of the filter media bioballs etc... The thing thats been making me wonder is I understand about just useing gravity to suck out the water and put it down into the filter, and then it states to have a pump to send the water from the bottom of it back up to the tank. But the problem is ok i have the pipe setup do i just have it so that it only is sitting in the tank around 3 - 4 inches so that if the pump stops working it doesn't drain the whole tank = big mess, dead fish? Or is there something else i can make that will work instead of that? The wet/dry seems like it will be awesome and does seem more efficient than hang ons.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not fully understanding you, is your tank predrilled? The drawers are ok, but its easier and better to use two rubbermaid bins instead if you want to go the economical route, be careful though rubbermaid bins bust if they are filled more than about 8" deep.

Let me know whether your tank is a predrilled or not so I can understand you. :biggrin:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Also with how the water flows through it, im guessing the only thing that will actually be holding water is the bottom container, that the drawer system is sitting in. I'm just worried/wondering about how I can get around it so that I won't have to worry about the tank completely draining, and causing a big ass mess.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Place the return plumbing as high as possible. With correct amount of water in the sump and tank it should be fine. You should have an over flow box, right? Once water drops lower than the slits in it, no more water can drain from the tank. Marking water levels on your sump is a must.I believe I said this right.

Sorry to jump on your thread Nate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts