Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking at my lighting options and I was wondering if anyone has done a DIY light fixture for their tank? Pics would be a plus

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i did what zippa did. But i also bought a can of flat black spray paint and painted it black so it wasnt white anymore. If you buy the shop light i would recomend getting a decent one. I know at the store i work at you can buy a seperate ballast and use the High output T12 that are 60 watts each if your looking to plant your tank and all. I guess it depends on the tank size and how many watts per gallon you want to achieve.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I was contemplating DIY light fixtures for my tank.
1.) couldnt find any fixture that looked decent
2.) The reflectors that come with the fixtures are garbage. If you're going to grow plants and hit them with high light, then you might as well insure that the light is being reflected adequately.

Wait for Dippy or someone else to post this up....there is special website that sells DIY fixtures/ light kits that you can install under hoods for very reasonable prices. These kits are made especially for growing plants and would be better than throwing something together at home depot.

·
5,336 Posts
there is way you can "overdrive" flourescent shop lights too... you get tons more WPer bulb, but life is shortened on them slightly, and you can only run 2 bulbs in a 4 bulb ballast.... basically double powering each bulb... you would have to look for wiring schematics on google or something but its what i plan on going with, or the T-12 HO well have to see... right now i have a 48" over my 55 gals, and it almost meets the 2WPg... but for a larger tank i would go different

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I had a single 2 light florescent shop light on the 75gal in the first pic and on the 100gal in the second I had 2 florescent shop lights for a total of 4 bulbs.I use wide spectrum bulbs from lowes in them.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I had a single 2 light florescent shop light on the 75gal in the first pic and on the 100gal in the second I had 2 florescent shop lights for a total of 4 bulbs.I use wide spectrum bulbs from lowes in them.
what ferts you use?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
which bulbs the plant and aqurium .. cool day .... theres lots to choose from thats what i cant decide cause i need to replace 2 bulbs and i wanted to do it with home depot lights.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Flourish Excel and Flourish Potassium is primarily all I ever used.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Forget about building something.
coralife t-5 light fixtures are very cost effective.

get 2 of these click here

then when you have more money buy 2 more.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forget about building something.
coralife t-5 light fixtures are very cost effective.

get 2 of these click here

then when you have more money buy 2 more.
THat wouldnt be enough wattage would it? That says only 21 watt bulbs

Those t5s are non HO FYI.....

Whats this mean?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just recently made a really easy DIY lighting which has plenty of light for my 55 Gallon fish tank. It measured in at 32Lx2.5Wx11H. Here's what I did.

In my garage, I had a water dispenser that broke on me a while back. I stored it until I could find time to fix it but never did. Instead I purchased a new one and I found use of the old one. I ripped theback panel off and used that as a lighting attachment. I then had a few cooler master white led fans that I stored away from back in the days when I was selling custom build computers. I made use of that also. This is a easy self explanatory writeup.

Step 1. Place the Cooler Master fans alongside the middle of the grilled section of the water despenser's back panel. Within the fan itself, it has 4 screw to be used. I just went ahead and used 2 stainless steel 1 1/4'' fastening screws to hold it in place because it grabs onto the grill really tight, it's not going anywhere.

Step 2. Now comes the wiring, I took the Red (+) and Black (-) of each fan and connected together and soldered also, then I ran that to a 12v 1500mA AC adapter that I had laying around as well.

Step 3. I didn't like the wires showing alongside the edge, so I took a 30'' Blue wireloom and placed my wires within it to make it look neater.

Step 4. Plug it in and your set to go.

It works really well because it sits tight perfectly ontop of my tank. I thought I do this because I had the parts just laying around and the fact that the back panels looks cool to me.

Here's some pictures.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Technology
Rectangle Font Parallel Grille Pattern
Audio receiver Audio equipment Gas Machine Electrical wiring
Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Electronic device Wire
Gas Audio equipment Rectangle Electric blue Computer hardware
Entertainment Audio equipment Electronic instrument Electronic device Electric blue

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts