Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mentally Addicted!
2,444 Posts
i needed a tank for my sanchezi, i had a 55g laying around so i thought i could wash it and do a DIY background. Since the update the old diy background pictures have been erased so i decided to take pictures as i do it, so if any members decides to paint there background they can use this as a reference.

acrylic paint(michaels $2.00)
sponge brush(michaels $0.40)
painters tape(i used brown tape i had laying around the house, but in the picture its white
)

step.1
remove dust or stains on the tank

step.2
apply tape on the bottom and top frames(sides of the glass also,i didnt)

step3.
cut away the extra tape that is on the glass

step4.
apply first coat...this is only the base so dont apply too much paint, then wait for it to dry

step5.
after first coat is dried apply the second coat

step6.
apply the third and final coat

step7.
place a light inside of the tank

if your able to see light through the background you need to retouch it(ei. circled in red)

step8.
remove tape from top and bottom frames

step9.
enjoy your own DIY blk background

heres the final setup...i didnt fully rinse my substrate so the water is a bit cloudy

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Very Nice! Good idea with the light and touch ups.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
damn that look really nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice job. I started doing my 100g tank last night. Unfortunately I didn't wait long enough between coats and I screwed it up. We'll see how it turns out in the end. I might have to remove all the paint and start over.

·
Mentally Addicted!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i experienced the same thing

the first coat you have to let it dry or else when you apply the second coat your just going to rub the 1st coat off

make sure its drys between coats

goodluck

·
Mentally Addicted!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it might be easiar and quicker but when you decide you want a different background itll be a pita to remove, with acrylic paint removal is simple. Sponge and water, wipe and its off.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
hmm, wonder if I can use a hair dryer to quick dry it, like holding it from afar...
Yes, I sure am lazy...

·
Registered
394 Posts
nice job, but wont the paint wash off from water coming out the tank once in awhile form cleaning etc...?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts