Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets use this post to give directions to make your own decor for you fish tanks

my contribution will be how to make a natural looking cave.

Buy any container or pipe that is big enough to make your cave with, I used a tupperware container and then cut the bottom, lid rim, and one side of leaving it with 3 sides in a "U" shape

then I emptied a 10lb bag of my type aquarium gravel in an old box.

cover the 3 sides of the container with a thin layer of aquarium glue

roll the container in the gravel until its cover

then sit it so that it is setting how it would in your tank and let it dry for 24hrs

repeat until you get an generous amount of rocks on it, the 2nd layer is harder to apply glue on, and be careful not to scrape your previous rocks of as well

you can see the cave in this picture, even though it doesnt match that tanks gravel, my fish really enjoy the hideout

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
Hi Nate when I seen your cave I remembered reading about making decorations at " www.garf.org ".
Here's the link " http://www.garf.org/newreef/arag.html "
I would imagine that these ideas might be used for making many sorts of aquarium decorations . Just to be sure that they are totally safe , after making them it might be wise to follow the instructions for curing the pieces once done.
Does anyone have any ideas on how this process might be adapted for
our aquariums?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Looks neat!
I might as well give it a try in the near future, since I'm still planning to set up a small 15 gallon all catfish tank, and they love hide-outs.

Thanks for the tip, Nate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
what i do for my aquarium decor..

here in texas i have lots of raw materials at my disposal if i look around. from plants, to rocks, to gravel.

the only thing i have not gotten for free in my aquarium was a few of the plants that i got from the pet store, and of course the fishies.

there are hundreds of manmade lakes and resiviors here in texas, and tons of streams and rivers, and natural springs.

central texas is also very rich in limestone and granite(marble).

i went down to a local spring that runs through my neighborhood, and found lots of nice flat limestone rocks that are very nice colored, they are white. (more on that in a moment). whenever it rains real hard, there is lots of drift wood and stuff that gets trapped under water and worn away over time.. some of the pieces look better than the stuff they sell at the pet store, and its free! rather than paying 5.99 a pound! there are also many plants that you can get growing naturally in the streams and lakes.. many of your favorite aquarium plants that you pay money for in the pet store, grow naturally in ponds in your own back yard! you just have to look! i have lily's and many other types of plants that flourish in my aquariums and look great! to top it all off, there are rivers that run thru marble springs texas, with some of the best looking sand i have ever seen anywhere, with the exception of one place

the sand in my aquarium came from a missile range in new mexico, called white sands national monument, it is pure white like cocain, and is the softest sand you will ever feel. it makes my tank so bright and nice to look at. with the rocks and wood and plants and sand that i have collected for free, i no doubt have saved hundreds of dollars that would have gone to my local aquarium store. and it all looks better in my opinion than the farmed stuff they sell. just more natural and so much less man made.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Nice set up Seifer...when did that black molly died?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts