Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone posted about this before but I'm too incompetent to find the thread, so I'll ask here.

I live in a crappy little town in northern MI and even the big glass company in town that I went to has told me this: "We don't carry any acrylic thicker than 1/4 inch." They won't even try to special order the stuff because they say they can't order anything but giant sheets of it and they don't want to have any go to waste since no one else will buy it.

So I was wondering, what's the biggest possible tank (dimensions and water capacity) that I could build with 1/4" inch acrylic or 3/8" glass. I don't really want to mess around with glass since it's a pain, but I still want to build my own tank.

You can just link me to the other thread if it answers my question, but any help is greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
3/8" thick is good to about 20"
1/4" thick is good to 18"

those are water depths you can make a tank as deep as you want but that is the deepest the water can be without risk of breaking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me make sure I follow you here, this is what I'm getting:

With a 1/4 inch thick acrylic tank I could make it as big as I want as long as I don't make it any higher than 18 inches? It doesn't sound right in my head so that's why I'm making sure if that's what you meant. If so then that's badass, I'll make a huge one that's only 18" deep.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not, Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts