Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jus threw my 6 leopard danios in with my red devil. theyre about half inch and fast as hell, thing isI've never met a fish that can survive 1 night in his tank. now the 1 3inch catfish is doing fine and I thought its only a matter of time before my piranha eats these danios (tropical tank tunred into piranha tank but I thought the leopard danios might come in handy with my devil tank as dithers) so I threw them in with my devil. he's 6 inches and its a 55 gallon. any experience, advice? I dont think they'll make it a week but better than bein chopped into bite size pieces while by a piranha

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
^^^ Probably. Midas isn't really a fish you "dither". I think people use that term too much for "I have a mean fish and I'm putting fish in with it to see if they live"

I always thought dithers were "calming" fish, and fish to bring shy fish out.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
^^^ Probably. Midas isn't really a fish you "dither". I think people use that term too much for "I have a mean fish and I'm putting fish in with it to see if they live"

I always thought dithers were "calming" fish, and fish to bring shy fish out.
agreed.

I use dithers for shy fish. Another term is 'target' fish to help a breeding pair improve their bond by defending against other fish. Neither is necessary here.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
red devils will probably tolerate dither fish in an over sized tank. in that, it can easily ignore whatever else is in the tank given a good diet. smaller fish will be persued eventually for fun or food assuming you have a typical RD. any larger dither will probably conflict with the RD's natural aggresion and bring about some sparing until fatality occurs. RD's are best kept in a species tank. inexpensive dither fish are never a bad idea to try but i wouldnt expect long term tank mates with a RD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts