Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the recent 'sick fish' threads and from my searching the net and not finding the best 'keys' out there I got this idea.

It's important to know what a disease is and what the proper treatment is (and how best to do the treatment).

We need to be able to understand the difference between parasites, bacteria, fungus, etc. and details (like how fungus can set up a secondary infection by bacteria!)

Get your sick fish pics up and let's get them analyzed and lets compare our information and experiences!

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing we need the dropsy pics, ich, velvet, fin/tail rot, columnaris, fungus infection, mouth rot, parasites, etc....

I'll search up some pics when I get time.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Ich- pretty easy to tell as you can see the white spots is a dead give away luckily there is a cure you can buy from the LFS
Are you sure we are on the same paige here man-Maybe you are seeing something I'm not man-Please explain slckr
Sorry for my ignorance today!!!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Ich- pretty easy to tell as you can see the white spots is a dead give away luckily there is a cure you can buy from the LFS
Are you sure we are on the same paige here man-Maybe you are seeing something I'm not man-Please explain slckr
[/quote]

OMG OMG no i wasnt talking about your im sorry your looks like some kinda injury with a fungus .. i was just adding to the thread by giving an example to ich.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
[/quote]

OMG OMG no i wasnt talking about your im sorry your looks like some kinda injury with a fungus .. i was just adding to the thread by giving an example to ich.
[/quote]

Alright then man-I was hoping it was something like that!!!!!

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
Sorry I have missed this Freeze-Thanks for the link sir!!!!! I do have extremely good news though-he is making one hell of a recovery over the last two days-He is gonna make it everyone-I will try to get some pics soon for everyone!!!

[/quote]
Great news AK!!!

This should be an excellent resource thread for disease.. Great idea, Ace. --BTW, AK, how did you treat your fish to get him through that horrible disease?
And if anyone knows how pop-eye is cured (if it can be) please explain here.. I lost 2 blue rams to it about a year ago

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Sorry I have missed this Freeze-Thanks for the link sir!!!!! I do have extremely good news though-he is making one hell of a recovery over the last two days-He is gonna make it everyone-I will try to get some pics soon for everyone!!!

[/quote]
Great news AK!!!
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words dippy-I'm extremly pleased at the moment-

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
And if anyone knows how pop-eye is cured (if it can be) please explain here.. I lost 2 blue rams to it about a year ago
I found this on http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=96168
Pop Eye
Exophthalmus; Corneybacteriosis; correct term can vary, depending upon exact cause

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
Pop Eye itself is not a disease, but a condition resulting from one of several possible problems: a bacterial infection (it can contract fungus as a secondary infection afterwards) environmental problems (poor water quality, etc) or trauma to the eye via an accident or injury from an aggressive tankmate. The fish may appear to have a large clear bubble over one or both eyes. The eye(s) will protrude out from the fish's head and may also be cloudy.

Treatment:
Only one eye bulging typically indicates that the problem has occured due to an injury to the eye somehow: the eye responds by swelling and retaining fluid buildup. Quarantining the fish and giving it clean water will help it to heal on its own with a little bit of time and isolation to reduce stress. Epson salt can help (1 tablespoon per five gallons; repeat with a half dose on day three as per WetWebMedia).

If both eyes exhibit symptoms, it is probably a bacterial infection. Treat with medication such as Maracyn, Penicillin, or Tetracycline. Neomycin sulphate (use 250 mg/gallon) is an antibiotic which is affective against a wide range of gram+ and gram- bacteria. You can find other broad spectrum antibiotics here. In advanced stages if there is a deep bacterial infection, it can be difficult to treat. Feed medicated food to the fish (it can be hard to get antibacterial medication inside the fish; most simply won't absorb). Medicate with antibiotics in a hospital tank to prevent damaging the biofilter in tanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts