1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive descided to try the king of the aquarium

i have got my water buffered, ph 6,4 gh 3-5 kh 3-5
NH3- 25
Nh2- 0

ive been thinking and i will not be able to buy 6-8 as i had in mid from the beginning, because im only a poor student in highschool i will only be able to buy 4-5 at once.
the day after tomorrow i will be getting my external filter and in a week ive planned to buy the fishes wich are around 2.5-3.5 inches across if you guys dont say anything else.
need opinions

the tank is around 570 litres

· Registered
421 Posts
I'd wait as long as possible... not really because of the cycling, thats a given, wait till you got enough scratch for some QUALITY discus. I started with 4-2.5" ers. they were like 20 bucks ea. and were quite demanding ( fed 3x's a day,near constant water changesetc.) they turned out nice, but i ended up w/ one runt. the ones I paid $$ for grew up to look like "classic "discus. there's some cool discus forums around.good luck!!

· Registered
10,778 Posts
piranha45 said:
your filter must be cycled before you add the discus. Otherwise, you will have ammonia and then you will have lots of dead/messed-up expensive fish.

here's a good walk through
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwestcycling.htm

cycling a filter takes about 16-20 days.
[snapback]866440[/snapback]​
or use biospira to make the process be days instead of weeks.

· Registered
421 Posts
what kind were you thinking of getting? I have some wild caught(4) and the rest are tank raised... It was frustrating at first, they were pretty shy, eventually they relax and soon they'll be comin up to greet you ( look for food :laugh: )

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can somyebody answer a couple of questions?

yesterday i got 5 new discus (these are my first ones ever)
today theyre very very shy and stays close to the heater and filter, the water parameters are just fine, almost ideal.
they havent eaten, i havent tried to feed them yet cause i dont think they would eat because they are so shy.

give me some tips!

· Registered
421 Posts
Those look great! congrats. call the store up and see what they were feeding them. What have / are you feeding them ? I have used frozen brine, fzn bloodworms (both hikari) , live brineshrimp,daphnia,whiteworms. tetra colorbits,too.
good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.