Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am thinking about getting a digi camera and thought well if I am going to buy one buy one that is good. I dont want to spends lots of money and cant order off the internet. Well I have 2 in mind so f you know of one better please inform me. I will wither buy the sone DSC-W1 $349.95 or the Sony DSC-V3 $699.95. I cant decide which to get so if you dont know of one better maybe help me pick between the 2. Thx for any help.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
any photos you see posted by me are taken with a sony dsc-p5. i got it in korea in '02 so it's not new or top of the line, but i've been pleased with it and my roommate had a different sony digital too that he was fond of. sony's are good and often worth the couple xtra bucks imo. that said, i don't know sh*t about cameras. sorry for the limited expertise. personal experience only from my side.

· Photo Whore
2,496 Posts
I really like my canon G5, havent got a clue how much they are to buy over there, but they've dropped a lot in price recently due to the G6 being released

· Registered
1,693 Posts
like york said. cameras are like computers. bigger better ones constantly come out, making older good ones cheaper and a good buy that is not necessarily out of date. anything with four or five megapixels is so clear and high quality that the human eye probably can't even tell at that level. i'd say if you get like four megapixels or higher, you'll be pretty pleased. at that level it's less of the camera and more of the experience of the photographer that makes the photo anyway i think. el twitcho seems to be quite the shutterbug. maybe p.m. him?

· These colours don't run !
4,746 Posts
i just got my sister-in-law one for xmas.its like a bloody minefield.all the people in the shops wanna sell you for profit not quality.try and stick to a good make with 4 or 5 mill pixels

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Both are excellent cameras, but I would ask what you will be using it for....do you want something more portable and easy to throw in a pocket or do you want something that has ALL the bells and whistles and will take amazing large photos? Don't get me wrong here though, I own the W-1 and it will print nicely at 13"x19" no problem and has a lot of nice features.

Here are a few things off the top of my head to look at between the 2:

Size: W-1 is small, V-3 is large.

Resolution: 5.1 v 7.1.....a lot v. a whole lot...again comes down to how much you will be cropping and how large you want to print.

Features: A few things the W-1 doesn't have that the V-3 does- exposure bracketing, use of CF and Sony cards, better optical zoom, hot shoe, added modes for focusing, light metering, white balance, etc.

Price: $349 v. $699 at Best Buy, $329 v. $599 online.

Ok, so here's my final answer...go with the V-3 if you really want to explore the artistic side of photography, doing landscapes, portraits, etc etc. Go with the W-1 as a great all around camera for carrying around, taking day to day shots, but still able to capture a nice sunset or whatever, etc.

Hope that helps, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I know both cameras inside and out (I sell and use them every day)...

Oh, on the ISO issue, higher ISO numbers are nice, but with digital photography, higher ISO's tend to have a lot of digital noise. The V-3 according to the industry has very low digital noise even at the higher ISO levels. So if you plan on shooting a lot indoors, at night, etc look at the V-3. But....my W-1 does a fine job in my critical opinion at ISO 400.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.