Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are wanting to add another p to your tank of the same species, is it safe to do so if there is an inch or two in size difference?

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
if the fish you have are 7-10 inches there shouldnt be a problem but if they are like 4-6 inches its probably not such a good idea. keep in mind they may kill the smaller ones regardless.

when introducing new fish, take all your fish out, do a water change, rearrange decor, and introduce them all at the same time. this is still no guarantee, they may still be killed.

the best option would to just buy the same size fish, good luck.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah they are 4-6" right now. I am having a hard time finding ones the same size as mine around here at lfs. The only place I can find them is on the internet. I havent been able to measure them exactly, but when my new tank gets here I plan on buying about 4 or 5 more reds.

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Yea do what NJ said about taking them out arranging the tanks and putting them back at the same time. They will all be so stressed with the new surronding they wont notice the new fish. Also new territories will help establish your tank.

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
you could always put the smaller ones into a different tank and powerfeed them until they catch up, then introduce them.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I agreed with NJ. When they are that small they tend to eat each other more than when they are in excess of 6".

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so do you think one or two 3-4" reds would be ok in a 10 gallon for about a month maybe until they get a little bigger? I know that a 10 gallon is WAY small but it wouldnt be for long and the ps arent that big yet.

Are there any other kinds of piranhas you can mix in with red bellies? If not, its okay, a tank full of reds would be awesome anyways.

Oh one more qusetion, how many reds can you put in a 125 gallon comfortably for life?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts