Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P's don't like alot of light, right? the room i have my tanks in is always dark. So when i want to sit and admire them, i have to turn on the light in the tank, but as soon as i flip the light on, they hide and are not as active as they usually would be. are there lights that are not as bright as flourescent, but brighter than a black light(so i can actually see them, but they feel comfortable)? I have seen blue lights that don't seem to be as bright, but i have only seen them in tanks that are on display in lfs, and they do not have water in them. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
347 Posts
Moon light bulbs works wonders for me.

I used to put a red cloth over the light to keep it darker and then I switched to just having duck weed to diffuse the light. But at the end, I just brought a moon light bulb and always kept it on so they get used to it.

My personal experience is that you have the keep the environment for them constant, or in another word regular, so they don't get surprised. Just keep the light on for 12 hours at a time for over a week and they should get used to it and not stress out about it when you turn it on.

Only if they made a dimmable flor. light so when the lights turn on, it seems as natural as the sun rising. Is there such a thing? I am using the 2 tube method of turning only one on at a delayed time so it seems natural.

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
I don't think most p's like different colored lights, I would just get a regular one and put some masking taped striped on it and it lowers the light in the room, and if you give them natural sunlight this brings out their color but can cause a increase in algae as well.

G

·
I would go with a few 25w incandecent bulbs.
15w are also nice and produce light that makes it look like your fish are in blackwater.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Wrap the bulbs in electrical tape to dim them or use tinfoil and poke holes in it to filter the light. Put the light on a timer to get your p's used to it.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Wrap the bulbs in electrical tape to dim them or use tinfoil and poke holes in it to filter the light. Put the light on a timer to get your p's used to it.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
i have a 4 foot flouresent bulb in my 75 and i was concerned about it being to bright. I simply cut up File Folder that are made of a heavier paper and covered some of the area to dim the light. Also this way you can control where you would like the light and where you dont.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.