Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought id share a pic or 2. some people have asked about "why arent my reds-red"
well, i am a finatic about feeding my guys a proper diet and mixing it up for them,
they eat better than i do........

anyway i hope my pics and my diet menu will help those with these questions.
i feed them:

shrimp with the shell on
krill
talapia
cod
scallops
wide variety of pellets and feeder sticks
ocasional cichlid flakes
algea wafers
and whitting fish

so i have a good menu for them but like asked, they are not truley red like most and i
think that is genetics (maybe?) they are mostly black and silver with traces of red
(accept my tern) but when stressed they are pale.

i hope the new members run across this post to help them out.
Dennis

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dont know the answer, but Ive noticed in different lighting my rbp's will turn different colors. They go from amazing coloration to looking pale with the flip of a switch, and when its real dark they just look grey/black. In the right lighting though the bright red belly does come out really well on mine. good lookin p's ya got there to!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Cannot be said how much is due to genetics and how much due to food.
You see other factors have also an impact on this, like mood, situation of health, water parameter issues, adaptation to lighting, hierarchy in a shoal ...

Harry

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i dont really say what your feeding them has to do with them having no red...dont get me wrong beauty fish man...
.......but when they're older they dont really have red from my viewing...my buddy had some breeders...no red, my biggest guy 6"+....no red...isnt it when they grow older they grow out of the red my readings are wrong??

·
Registered
279 Posts
your wronge dude lol food has lots to do with it im sure also the gravel tho
those reds look normal to me they will ony be bright red if they are super reds
also the last pic you posted on tread the red belly in the midle is a female she looks full of eggs thats why she has changed in color

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Two of mine are this red

My larger pygo is pale all the time.....might have to do with age as well, because they all get the same diet and lighting

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
its an old pic....but their coloring is just as bright as this still.
Last time i measured them they were 6inches

My larger one is older and closer to 8 /8.5

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
your wronge dude lol food has lots to do with it im sure also the gravel tho
those reds look normal to me they will ony be bright red if they are super reds
also the last pic you posted on tread the red belly in the midle is a female she looks full of eggs thats why she has changed in color
[/quote]
i feel like sh*t now, i just got done doing a water change gravel vac etc. and found what
looked like a half eatten fish (my last rapheal cat) he is still in the tank / and i tossed it away......

it was approx 3" long, sticky and white.......was this an egg sack?

i have never had a breeding pair until now i guess........i feel horrible

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
It could have been an egg sac, but then again it could have just been the half eaten raphael cat.

As for the color, I am a strong believer in water conditions, genetics, and diet as all factors in your piranhas obtaining and maintaning their red bellies. I have had plenty of pygos but one in particular kept a super bright red belly all the way until it died at 8.5"-9" in size. The others that were in the same shoal as it lost a lot of their reds at about 6-7" and had mostly a goldish coloration in the bellies. All were fed the same and all lived in the same tank, so I really do feal genetics is a factor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well I have three reds that I've raised from bout .5" to roughly 7" in 10 months. All have been fed the same diet and all have been in the same tank, yet all three are different colors. I have one that has the beautiful red belly and an overall lighter color. Another is dark with an orange belly. The third looks like it is in breeding colors. The entire fish is dark with minimal orange on the belly.

So my 2 cents is that it really depends on the fish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts