Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the pet store last night to get a box of carbon. all they had was activated. Black diamond or somthing. marineland makes it.

anyways the box costed me like 24 dollars. but they had another box of just regular carbon for 10 dollars cheaper.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
It is the same thing. Perhaps the difference in price is caused by additives in the more expensive carbon.

Activated carbon, also called activated charcoal or activated coal, is a general term which covers carbon material mostly derived from charcoal. For all three variations of the name, "activated" is sometimes substituted with "active". By any name, it is a material with an exceptionally high surface area. Just one gram of activated carbon has the surface area of approximately two tennis courts, typically determined by nitrogen gas adsorption, and includes a large amount of microporosity. Sufficient activation for useful applications may come solely from the high surface area, though often further chemical treatment is used to enhance the absorbing properties of the material.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Carbon should only need to be used to take medications out of the water. It is unneccessary to use it in established tanks. The use of carbon can also cause HITH. IMO, do not use carbon unless needed.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
And to be accurate, charcoal and activated charcoal is not the same thing.

The charcoal is activated by a chemical treatment with oxygen. This process also makes the active charcoal very porous, thus increasing the surface area and so also the mechanical filtration property. But the commercial names mix things up: activated charcoal is marketed as charcoal too.

Activated charcoal will stay activated in use for only about one month, after that it works as a mechanical filtration media.

Activated charcoal absorbs iodine, chlorine, contaminants, pigments and organic acids very well.
It absorbs, but not so well, strong acids and basics, ammonium, nitrates, metals, inorganic minerals.

It can for example remove humic acids from the water making it colorless.
I think the best use of this stuff is only to remove poisons and medicines from the water.
It cannot be used at all as a bio media.

Harry

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Carbon should only need to be used to take medications out of the water. It is unneccessary to use it in established tanks. The use of carbon can also cause HITH. IMO, do not use carbon unless needed.
This is a completely unsubstantiated claim. Last I checked there was no official cause of HITH. Simply a lot of opinions on what the cause is...

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
And to be accurate, charcoal and activated charcoal is not the same thing.

The charcoal is activated by a chemical treatment with oxygen. This process also makes the active charcoal very porous, thus increasing the surface area and so also the mechanical filtration property. But the commercial names mix things up: activated charcoal is marketed as charcoal too.

Activated charcoal will stay activated in use for only about one month, after that it works as a mechanical filtration media.

Activated charcoal absorbs iodine, chlorine, contaminants, pigments and organic acids very well.
It absorbs, but not so well, strong acids and basics, ammonium, nitrates, metals, inorganic minerals.

It can for example remove humic acids from the water making it colorless.
I think the best use of this stuff is only to remove poisons and medicines from the water.
It cannot be used at all as a bio media.

Harry
There it is folks solid decent information.................(As stated)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts