Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm concidering setting up a 90US gallon tank, 48"x20"x22". Do you think this is big enough for 1 piraya and 2-3 ternetzi, for life ? Or i may get a large rhom, either a high back diamond or xingu gold. What do you think ?
Ta.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I think that the 90 will be big enough for either 3 or 4 fish definately. Some are probly going to respond and say that you can keep more in there also, which you can, but I would advise against it. I am not a fan of overstocking, but instead would rather give my fish a chance to spread out and have adequate space. I think that this will reduce tensions/aggression and gives you fish a little more space thus allowing them to grow a little larger overall compared to overstocked tanks.

Just my opinion though.

~Dj

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I thought that piraya need 40-50 gallons for life. This is FOR LIFE tho, I think you can definatly keep those fish in there for quite some time.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Xenon said:
I thought that piraya need 40-50 gallons for life. This is FOR LIFE tho, I think you can definatly keep those fish in there for quite some time.
I think that I heard this also. HaHaHa. There are quite a few people in violation of this rule then.

~Dj

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
My piraya love the space. They are very small now but the 85 gal is getting too small for them fast. I would agree that they need the space to keep the tension down. 3 fish i think will be ok.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
3-4 in a 90 will be perfect...i have 100g with 7 rbs and caribas and they are a happy bunch

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
dazza i am getting a 84 us gal in a few weeks a 48x20x20 and will keep 2 reds 1 piraya and a cariba or possibly 2 cariba but i would say that is the max and it wont be for life as once my house gets its refurb in 3 years i am getting an 8' tank for my living room which will double in size.
i would also say what your adding would be ok for quite a few years and you never know you may get the chance to go bigger again in a few years
dixon

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
If your talking about Piraya and Terns i have to say no more than 3 for life...

You should think also about 5 Caribas or 1 Rhom in your 90g!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I already have a shoal of 6 caribe in a 115 US gallon tank (did have 7), and a rhom in a 45gallon. If i got the rhom it would be 9"+ min. The caribe are great, everything piranha should be. But i would like a piraya, their colouring is fantastic. And seeing as i have caribe, ternetzi would be my next chioce. If i got the new tank and decide on the rhom, i'd sell my current rhom and get a gold spilo for the 45.
Ta.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts