Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost a 7in piraya (attached by shoal) in my 125 gal. Tanks has 9 terns & piraya in it all 6 to 10in...they had been together for almost a year...is this normal to lose on like this ? is there anything I can do to minimize risk? I feed every other day and have no structure(decor) in tank. thanks for any advice !

· Registered
181 Posts
So you lost 7, and still have 9 in the tank they are all 6-10 inches, so you had a total of 16 in a 125... If that is right then they are dying becasue of over stocking. They will stop dying when they have enough space.

· Registered
229 Posts
robrefvik said:
So you lost 7, and still have 9 in the tank they are all 6-10 inches, so you had a total of 16 in a 125... If that is right then they are dying becasue of over stocking. They will stop dying when they have enough space.
[snapback]829414[/snapback]​
He said he lost ONE that was 7 inches. So he had 10 in there. That's still overstocked, but not quite as bad. Generally the rule of thumb is 20 gallons per piranha. With 10 in a 120 gallon that is only 12 gallons per fish. That's why they are killing each other. You probably shouldn't have more than 6-7 MAX in that tank.

· Registered
7,229 Posts
robrefvik said:
He lost a 7in piraya, not 7 piraya.

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Ok im lost on the total number of Ps you had and or have. Aggression towards others in a shoal is something that will always be present. Feeding regularly and removing decor are two ways you can help combat this as you may already know from your actions already taken. My recommendation for a 120 gallon tank would be to house no more then 6-7 Ps. This doesnt mean more cannot be kept successfully.

· Danger Davo
751 Posts
robrefvik said:
I'm afraid I can not agree with you on this. I have 24 Piranha in a 240G. Before this tank they were in a 120 G. (Of couse they were smaller)

To date I have not lost a single piranha. They are growing well. And are extremely healthy.

They eeven spawned. (I lost all the fry!!!)

So its not the number of p's in a tank!! If regular water changes are done, well fed and there is enough filteration and oxy then there will be no prob.

I know he lost only one and he had 7......

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Well u never know what can happen when u are owning Piranhas...

u can have a kick ass shoal then 1 day u can come home to 1 or 2 Ps messed up and heads floating

i suggest u feed them a little more ive noticed my Ps tend to be less aggressive to eachother when they half something in theyre stomachs

· Registered
18,153 Posts
tanmuscles said:
He said he lost ONE that was 7 inches. So he had 10 in there. That's still overstocked, but not quite as bad.
[snapback]829448[/snapback]​
Not quite that bad or not, overstocking is overstocking, and the risks are the same (as is illustrated nicely in this case).
It's very simple: the more cramped your fish are, the more likely it is sooner or later one or more will bite the dust: being a newcomer or a veteran makes no difference at all. And 10 mature pygo's is overstocked...
As soon as you do it, you know what likely to happen, and even though I'm very sorry about the loss, it's his own fault (because it was to be expected sooner or later), imo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.